Philips quits consumer electronics after 80+ years

By Shawn Knight
Jan 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Philips Electronics has decided to get out of the consumer electronics business as more than 80 years on the job. The Dutch company announced the sale of their audio, video, multimedia and accessories divisions to Japan’s Funai Electric Co. on...

Read more
  2. SCJake

SCJake Newcomer, in training Posts: 80

"They invented the audio cassette in 1963 and created the first videocassette recorder in 1972. Just over a decade later they were responsible for creating the compact disc. They were also instrumental in the rise of DVD and Blu-ray formats."

SWEET!!! now maybe I wont have to spend $$$$$$$$$$$ to remake my collection... again... and again... and again...
  3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,365   +261

Who said you HAVE to remake your collection?
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,235   +333

That's the way it has to be. Myself, I have had my collection of DVD-s and Blu-Rays tucked away in a shed for a while. Watching only digital contents now.

If Philips or others didn't see the change coming - it is expected they go belly up at this point... Even Sony isn't far behind, one leg in a grave, according to their financial picture, and if PS4 turns up another financial fiasco - they will follow Phillips.
  5. p51d007

p51d007 TechSpot Booster Posts: 267   +35

Phillips should sue "the star wars guy", Lucas....take a look at the death star, and then take a look at the first AM radio I had as a 9 year old kid, the Panasonic ball radio.
    http://www.transistor.org/collection/panasonic/panasonic3.html
    Sure does look A LOT like the death star. Using the iPhone logic, they could sue Lucas for billions of dollars, and be home free LOL.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,241   +529

It's a shame really but nothing lasts forever (take heed Apple). I still have a Philips valve radio & 78 rpm record player dating back to 1950.
  7. PaddyO

PaddyO Newcomer, in training

Pity - first (and only) midi HiFi from 1999 still going strong, still sounds great.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,241   +529

Yeah, they did make some remarkable audio equipment.
  9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,013   +716

Smooth..! Now you can buy movies for a whole dollar less, which are still blocked up with DRM, you get no physical media, and you have to be online to use them. Very progressive!
  10. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,235   +333

Not really, never paid for a digital media, not once. I get them for free, where and how - you can guess, I won't go about it on a public forum :)
  11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,013   +716

Oh, snap! Ahoy matey......,ARGH....!:eek:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.