TechSpot

Philips Ultimate Edge 5.1 soundcard review @ TechSpot

By Julio Franco
Sep 8, 2004
  1. Philips has once again invaded the PC Audio scene with a new soundcard offering. Earlier this year we took a close look to their Aurilium external soundcard which left us quite impressed. This time around they are bringing us a new internal soundcard based on the VIA Envy24GT chipset which combined with the Sound Agent 2 drivers we tested on the Aurilium, should make for a very solid entrance in the enthusiast market.

The Philips Ultimate Edge has been smartly positioned as a 5.1 soundcard, it shares much of what made the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 a true Audigy competitor, then cut a few dollars from its price tag. If you are into a new soundcard this fall you should seriously take a close look to Philips latest offering.

[​IMG]

2. Riz

Riz

mic problems

Hi, how can I stop the sound card from switching to front mic when I dont even have one ? this happens when ever I start any aplications using a mic pluged into the rear mic socket. Its very annoying that everytime I play counter strike and need to use the mic for matches, it swaps to front mic when ever there is a map change. This happens in all applications....even sound recorder that comes with windows.

Is there a firmware update that I can get that can remove the front mic option altogether from the sound card ?
    Alternatively, is there a hardwire option ? I am an electronics engineer so this wont be a problem.

I have contacted Philips regarding this and got no luck !

Please help, because I find this highly unusual and very frustrating !

Sytem:
    Asus k8V-X MB
    AMD64 bit 3000+ uP
    Radeon 9800 pro GFX
    1 gig ram
    Windows XP pro

All latest drivers updated as they come out.
    Passes all tests in DX9c

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.