Photo editing freeware for Windows 7 Home Premium

Pazuzu

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-W5 camera which came with Picture Package imaging software.
Before loading onto my new PC I am looking for other software. As ever I want it for free - freeware or perhaps opensource.
I have an HP PSC 1610 all in one printer scanner which gave me access to a suite of image editing and I guess that I could go back to using the HP photo editing - unless there is something better for free.

I do a lot of photo work from digital cameras, and so have tried most of the software available, (aside from Photoshop). As mentioned, 'Paint.net' is very good, 'Gimp', has more options, both are free. I found and use, almost daily,' Faststone Image editor 4.2 ', which is unusual to use, and does everything I need to do in editing and resizing photos. But note that it's not a painting program, as the first 2 programs mentioned are. It will open and save all photo types, including RAW. The program is free. A very underated program in my opinion.

http://www.faststone.org/

I started to use Paint..net but am not able to work out how to re-size files - for example to send as email attachments.
Do I need something else in addition to do this?

Image > Resize…
will give you many options. You have to explore the program and its tabs a little, there's no substitute for this apparently tedious task.

Do you want photo editing software mainly for the task of re-sizing images only?

I use Gimp exclusively on Windows and Linux for photo editing, but I now tend to use batch resizing programs to resize multiple images in one go.

If you spend quite a bit of time doing that as opposed to actually editing images it would be worth considering using software to do specifically that.

Resizing photos

If you are mostly interested in resizing photos for web pages or emailing, you could try a program also from 'Faststone' called; 'Image resizer'. They make four programs, this one is the last one of the four on their site.
http://www.faststone.org/
If you try Fastone image viewer, it will open with a file explorer, double-click on the image you want, it will open full screen. Move mouse over to far left of screen when the resize option will appear. You can resize images by, pixels, percent, print size or a choice of useful sizes, preset. Very good I think, and the programs are free.
But in my opinion, it's better that you try each of the programs, because it all depends on what you think is 'easy'. See image attached.

Attachments

• resize pictures.jpg
    resize pictures.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 3
Back