TechSpot

Physicists set world record with 186Gbps network transfer

By Rick
Dec 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Scientists at Caltech managed to squeeze 186Gbps of data through a fiber optic network link between Victoria, B.C and Seattle, WA. This achievement marks the highest speed transfer ever over…

Read the whole story

2. Atham

Atham TS Enthusiast Posts: 460

Yeah, I get 100Mbps. I am pretty sad about this. My internet hides from seeing this

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

I think my sig says it all...

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,917   +684

The woman in the video makes a bit of an error there. "equipped with solid state disks".

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't SSD stand for solid state drive? If it was "disk" that would imply a spinning disk was being used?

5. Holyscrap

Holyscrap TS Enthusiast Posts: 41   +12

well disk means something round, so if you make a round SSD you have your very own Solid State Disk, which you can then then load up with data and toss it to a neighbor like a Frisbee for ultra fast data transmission between you.

P.S. sorry for that last thing, but i couldn't resist.

6. "Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't SSD stand for solid state drive? If it was "disk" that would imply a spinning disk was being used? "

Even if you substitute Drive for the word disk (as in HDD), this is just a naming convention at this point, considering that the D for "Drive" refers to the spinning or 'driving' of the disks

Just a thought

7. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

Why do we keep using *bits/second? :( i mean bytes aren't always the same value of bits (...) but the standard byte for Computers is 8 bits = 1 byte

8. my Africa special 256 connection is suuuppeeerrr fast.

lol

9. darkzelda

darkzelda TS Addict Posts: 251   +86

That's why I love physics....

10. How many megabytes are in a petabyte?