TechSpot

Pioneer console Sega Dreamcast turns 10

By Justin
Sep 9, 2009
  1. Consoles have come a long way in a short time, evolving alongside computers as one of the center pieces for video game entertainment. As the line between computer and console begins to blur, it's easy to forget just how far the console has journeyed. A good reminder of that came this week, when the Sega Dreamcast turned ten years old.

Read the whole story

2. ColdFusion1990

ColdFusion1990 TS Rookie Posts: 141

What a great console

3. Mine's still going, and I always enjoy breaking it out every so often for a fix. I've grown to love it's quirkyness, like the noises from the GD-ROM spooling up, and the laser assembly.

4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 910   +55

The original xbox controller was modeled after the dreamcast controller right down to the memory card being in the controller. The 360 controller is a refinement of the xbox type s.

5. I was always an N64 man but the Dreamcast really was the superior console in terms of hardware. It's a shame it did so poorly.

6. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

I gave my Dreamcast collection a good visit yesterday, man the graphics have fallen to time but still manage to be pretty good. I even went through most of Jet Grind Radio again... that game was awesome.

7. Hello,
    FYI,, It didnt do poorly dur to lack of software, it did poorly due to the fact that Sony hyped there ps2 and @ the same time Sega could not keep up the demand for the console due to shortage of stock inventory

8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,357   +283

I still have mine up and running - it still hooked up to an old CRT I have via a VGA-Box. I really love my Dreamcast. Unfortunately the battery is dead so I have to reset the date/time constantly.

9. Sega Dreamcast was built for the hardcore gamers in mind. Sega Dreamcast will always be considered the BEST console ever made during it time. 500k units sold in first day of launch in gaming history. remember, wat killed Sega was hype from Sony

10. Badfinger

Badfinger TS Rookie Posts: 160

I have working (still) Dreamcast also, Hydro Thunder & Demolition Racer No Exit still great fun to play.
    10 years already? Doesn't seem that long?!?

11. maddmatt02

maddmatt02 TS Rookie Posts: 115

you could actually play multiplayer online through dial-up? I have a hard enough time through a 1 Mb/sec connection sometimes, of course games are way more intensive now, but still, 53 Kb/sec...

12. gingerbill

gingerbill TS Enthusiast Posts: 174   +12

shame sega never made another console , dreamcast was a good machine , built to last as everyone i know who had one there's still works , including mine. I don't remember many killer titles though which couldn't have helped it.

13. Gingerbill,What about Metro street racer,Ferrari Challenge,Jet set racer+many more great games?Sony killed the Dreamcast.Nice people!

14. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

consoles are the future,becoming all in one entertainment hub

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.