Pirate sites reportedly generate a whopping $227 million a year in ad revenue

1. Ever wondered how much a torrent portal, linking site, or cyberlocker earns from advertisements? The Digital Citizens Alliance (DCA) has released a comprehensive report (PDF) detailing how much piracy sites are making in ad revenue. Titled "Good Money Gone Bad:...

Read more
  2. Brodo Laggins

Brodo Laggins TS Rookie Posts: 22   +12

But how much is their overhead?
    Gopal Bhat likes this.
  3. I'm willing to bet they just about break even.

Unfortunately I'm sure the courts/corporate lawyers would still see that as turning profit.
    wastedkill likes this.
  4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Wow this is very impressive. No wonder they can survive.
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,467   +1,760

I'd bet good money on the fact they'd be even more shocked, if they ever realize that most of the people using these sites, are also running Script Blockers, Ad blockers, and connecting through a proxy such as TOR.

At the end of the day, mainstream products ads very likely have little tangible effect, and they're pretty much pissing their money up a wall.
    psycros likes this.
  6. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,298   +667

Most sites can tell when you're running an ad blocker but all they can typically do is give you a "wah wah plz don't block our ads" plea. A few are getting more nefarious by entangling certain features with the ad delivery systems..block the ads and you block the content. Ironically, all this will do is drive users to competing sites that don't engage in such behavior.
    misor likes this.