Planning to buy EVGA GeForce GTX260 core216 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xecutor

Hi guys,

I just needed some advice as to whether this plan will come to fruition. I have an ASUS EN8800GTS 320MB DDR3 that burnt out (started seeing horizontal spots all over the screen and win7 64-bit won't boot because of it!). Hence, I have decided I will be getting a higher end video card to replace my 2 year old 8800GTS that I had paid $240 CAD for. Also, I had modded the card with a Duorb VGA cooler about a month ago.

The new cards I have been looking at seem very power hungry and that is why the GTX260 core 216 (OC) seems interesting. I humbly require your expert opinions to help me decide if this thing will work with my rig or not. And what alternatives can i go for.

Please note that I am not restricted to NVIDIA; I am flexible for ATI's as well...

My rig specs are as follows:

Motherboard with only one PCIe x16 slot
AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+ @2.3GHz (AM2 socket modded w/ 92mm TR2 fan from Tt)
6 GB DDR2 RAM @ 533MHz
500W Antec PSU (SLI ready)
NZXT Zero2 Case with 5 x 120mm case fans (3 LED)
2 SATA HDD (one of them is a 500GB Hitachi 7200rpm; other 1 is Seagate 160GB)
Windows 7 RC 64-Bit

Your thoughts are MOST welcome!

That card is a good choice. I'd go for a better psu with that thing, you'd barely make it.

On the other hand look into a 4890 1gb, it does beat out the 260 in some benchmarks and is a bit cheaper.

Does the HD4890 1GB use similar power or less power than the GTX260 core 216?

BTW, I found a GTX260 core 216 superclocked on tigerdirect.ca at $209 (w/ MIR of $30). Does the 4890 run for about $200 CAD as well (that's not to say that I won't check other sites for it)?

Thank you in advance!

2x6pin connections for the 4890 if i remember right. I dont think you will notice much difference between the two unless you're running benchmarking software.

Here is what I've discovered on this website:

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I know this isn't 100%, but with 40 W to spare, am I safe enough to skip a new PSU?

Please Note: There is 1 DVD/CDRW drive not shown in the graphic.

Also, my current Antec 500W PSU does come with 2x6pin PCIE power connectors. Can this work?

In my opinion you are cutting it a little close. Power supplies degrade with age and use. and it will just about manage new . Sorry :( but i would say a new psu is a must if you want to go to a "high end" card.

Thank you, fimbles. I realise now how close "close" means. Since I don't think more than 550W is needed, if I get a 525W or 550W PSU, will it be good enough?

TBH I am on a tight budget and would like to cut into as many discounts as possible! ^_^;;

We realize that people like and have to save money, but we want you to realize that overdrawing more power isnt good on any psu and if its not a quality psu it could mean taking out your WHOLE SYSTEM.

I dont think anyone here would recommend anything lower than 650 watts.

Thank you for the insight!

I actually have settled to getting a cheaper, less power-hungry card: the Geforce GTS 250 1GB DDR3 clocked at 738 MHz core & 2.2Ghz Mem.
I know I might be better off getting a new PSU and video card altogether, but I have another plan for the future where I might be buying a Phenom II X3 or X4 2.8 GHz with DDR3 RAM capable Mobo and 2x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots and a new PSU to boot.

That may be in the next year though; this year I just need this video card before the "stated" release of Starcraft II in Q4 2009.

Is there a HUGE difference in performance of the GTX260 vs GTS 250? How much?

I had an EVGA 8800GTS SC 640meg. card and upgraded to the EVGA 260 GTX SC and I paid $199 after $20 mir, but I found the card was to big for my full tower case, and I had to buy a new bigger case in order to fit this card in. So please measure carefully to make sure you do not run into the same problem I did.
On a side note I have an 850watt PS. and with this card, 5 HDs, quad processor OC'ed, 4 gigs. memory and 2 DVD burners and 7 fans, it runs like a champ.

the gtx 260 is a big increase over the 250 the 250 is just a rebranded 9800gtx but you coulc get an ati 4850 which imo is better than the gts 250.

you could get XFX GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 for $159.99 Free Shipping and rgis PSU Antec Plus 550W $74.99 Free Shipping*lol i didnt see the PSU you already had that should be good enough for what you have . i built a core i7 rig that has a gtx 260 and 6gig of ram and 4 HDD and it runs fine on a 600watt ocz psu .

Thank you Klepto :) I really appreciate you doing the research for me! The GTX260 core 216 is the best card I have seen for the buck, but unfortunately I am in Canada, and the prices are around the $215 - $230 mark on tigerdirect.ca and newegg.ca

And, from what I have gathered, I will need to get a 600W or 650W PSU to get that running on my mobo. I love th card, don't get me wrong! I just don't think I can afford it atm. I might think of getting it for my planned next build in late 2010.

Hence, my choice to go with the GTS 250 1GB to at least be ready for Starcraft II, whenever it comes out in Nov/Dec 2009. Also, just to clarify, my current Antec PSU is only 500W, hence it's prolly not enough to run the card well/at all...

I really appreciate your help, though!

no i was saying that the 500 watt supply should be plenty to run that card and the setup you have .

Ooo! Wow! Thanks dude, I can actually go get that card for my rig? Sorry I'm just euphoric and paradoxically not believing the news lol - I'm THAT happy lol!

I'm going to Tigerdirect tomorrow; I'll try to get a good deal and keep you posted. Thanks for making it clear.

i would say it will be fine but if you have any trouble set the clocks on the video card to factory clocks for a reg gtx 260

yea, the min. PSU required is 500 watts and your barely cutting it, also, make sure you have enough amps to run it, My GTS 250 requires 450 watts and 28 A of power so watch out for that, and after looking online, you need to crank out at least 36 A on the +12, also make sure you mobo is able to fit and compatable with it, one of the issues for my card as I heard from the BFG tech guy is it MIGHT not be compat. with the mobo

I myself hate installing graphics card, im trying to install mine now and its doing all but working, even tho its working, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back