Planning to get a USB Internet for my friends laptop

Chronus

My best friend is getting married soon, and I was looking at getting him a USB internet connection for his laptop, and i was wondering what your guy's opinions would be.

What to get, what not to get, and so forth.

Windows 7, 64 bit, is all i can remember about it right now.

My best friend is getting married soon, and I was looking at getting him a USB internet connection for his laptop, and i was wondering what your guy's opinions would be.

What to get, what not to get, and so forth.

Windows 7, 64 bit, is all i can remember about it right now.
That last line sound like you'r considering a WHOLE system - - or is this the system to which the new device would be attached?

Most laptop systems today already have an Ethernet slot (RJ45 plug on the back) and many come with WiFi. A new USB-WiFi device would have a CD for the software and it would install the correct components to make it run - - and yes you need to ensure that it would support the 32 vs 64 bits in system software {XP,Vista, Win7}.

Do you mean an internet dongle? If so the main things to look at would be what the limits of the plan are and whether the company you choose has good signal in the main area it would be used.

Lets start from the beginning.

The laptop has one or both devices for a wired or wifi connection to a ROUTER or modem.

The Router (if present as a device) is attached to a modem.

The modem is connected to an ISP(Internet Service Provider). There many venders
and at least four types of connections:
1) '80s style dial-up over a phone line
2) DSL which is a higher speed connection over a phone line
3) Cable where the Internet comes on the same wire as TV service
4) Satellite connection

That doggle you are considering will not provide Internet Service even if you are planning on choice (4). It is just a hunk of hardware that is an alternative to what is on the laptop. Unless you intend (4), you just don't need it at all.
ISP service is usually contractural and you need to call to
subscribe and setup an account.

It's the ISP (and the connection method) you choose that determines the features and speed (we call that bandwidth) the user will see.

Mobile broadband ? http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/mobile_broadband/?gclid=CJfgqdHu-aoCFc8mtAodDBpTIg

For this reason "ISP service is usually contractural and you need to call to
subscribe and setup an account." I presumed he was referring to mobile broadband as a wedding gift.

The statement "USB internet connection" can be interpreted several ways. I presumed the user was aware that laptops have the capability of connecting to local or non-local networks via UTP/STP cabling or Wireless.

I presumed the user was aware that laptops have the capability of connecting to local or non-local networks via UTP/STP cabling or Wireless.
I did not so presume as the statement re doggle+isp suggested otherwise.

I'm sure that the thread now clarifies that issue :)

Mobile broadband ? http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/mobile_broadband/?gclid=CJfgqdHu-aoCFc8mtAodDBpTIg

For this reason "ISP service is usually contractural and you need to call to
subscribe and setup an account." I presumed he was referring to mobile broadband as a wedding gift.

The statement "USB internet connection" can be interpreted several ways. I presumed the user was aware that laptops have the capability of connecting to local or non-local networks via UTP/STP cabling or Wireless.

Sorry, yes this is what I was referring too. While he is at my place, or living with his aunts, he connects threw his Wi Fi. However, when he is visiting his fiance they have no internet connection for complicated reasons.

So as a gift, i was looking at buying him a plan/device, for a year. And was wanting to get recommendations for a good company/service to go with, as i don't know this area very well, as I've never purchased internet before.

The best thing to do is find out what company has the best signal in the area he will be using it the most, and then look at the costs from there. The main thing is that the signal strength is strong otherwise it will be very slow!

Hope this helps

Given that this is a multicultural forum you would get the most appropriate and useful responses if you gave a little information like country you are in and area :)

Never even crossed my mind, sorry about that. I live in Clearfield, Utah, USA.
They are looking at moving anywhere between Ogden Utah, and Bountiful Utah.

Back