PlayMG's handheld Android gaming device goes on pre-order for $149

By Shawn Knight
Oct 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A startup called PlayMG has announced the imminent release of a dedicated Android gaming handset they are calling the MG. The device features full access to Google Play in a lightweight package that won't break the budget.

Read more
  2. TechMancer

TechMancer TechSpot Member Posts: 59

That's cheaper than I heard it was going to be. But is it a touch-screen device or does it have key buttons? That makes all the difference, because some games are harder to play with touch-screen capability.
  3. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

I don't understand why parents pass of their smartphones to kids. I would NEVER give my 4s to a kid, let alone buy them an android device as a stocking stuffer. In my day, stocking stuffers were things like candy or a music cd. Times have changed...
  4. TechMancer

How true. My 3 year old cousin plays with his aunt's iPad daily. And every time I go to a restaurant, I see TODDLERS playing on iPhones. P*sses the heck out of me.
  5. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 364   +66

I was thinking the same thing. Heck if it had buttons I wouldn't mind buying it for myself. But it doesn't so it leaves something to be desired.
  6. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 783   +85

Technology is a good distraction to keep younger kids busy until it gets broken :|
  7. dawei1993

dawei1993 Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

Am I the only one thinking this is useless?
  8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 917   +26

9. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 917   +26

By the way, thanks for the Archos link. I'll be waiting for more details about it.

The MG looks to me like it's aimed at kids who normally play on their parents' phone. One of the features shown in the video is a control app letting parents see exactly what their kid has downloaded and played. I think it's a decent device for this target market, but for people who want a gaming device for themselves it won't be worth buying.
  10. PC nerd

PC nerd TechSpot Booster Posts: 314   +34

I can't play vidya on a touch screen. It's horrible. Buttons>touch screen
  11. TechMancer

What if it had buttons, and you could have an option in the settings menu to have a touch-screen mode? Expensive it may be, but it could sell more.
  12. MGmoregame

MGmoregame Newcomer, in training

Yes, it's touch-screen.

13. WaveZero

WaveZero Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

A single core for games hahaha, well I guess it's still better than some budget smart phones...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.