TechSpot

PlayStation 3 discs not loading

By TheDreams
Feb 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I need some help, my playstation 3 does not read any ps3 game disks, whenever I insert a disk it says reading, then it sounds like its trying to push the disk back out but it doesn't. When I press the eject button though it pops back out. I have tried cleaning all disks. Help

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +965

3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

That sound is probably it trying to furiously read the disk, but it cannot.

4. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Evangelist Posts: 837   +196

If all else fails, just buy a new optical drive for the PS3. Installation of a new optical drive is a breeze and they're pretty cheap too.

5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +965

Especially with the announcement of the PS4, prices will go down fast

6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Oh? That's interesting. I wonder if updating to a faster speed drive will stop it being the bottleneck in data transfers!

7. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Evangelist Posts: 837   +196

Yeah, I've opened up quite a few PS3's and the Optical Drive is literally just sitting on top of the board. I don't even think it's fastened in by anything lol. In regards to transfer speeds, I don't see why not. You would just have to find one that is compatible.

8. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Topic Starter Posts: 598   +57

I have tried opening the ps3 and cleaning everything but it still won't work so im thinking of just getting a new one until PS4 goes to the market.