PlayStation 3 turns profitable with new 40nm RSX GPU?

By Matthew
Apr 26, 2010
  1. Sony has begun using a 40nm RSX GPU in place of the previous 65nm chip on its PlayStation 3, reportedly allowing the company to finally turn a buck. When the console first launched in 2006, Sony was losing between $241 and $307 per unit. It wasn't until the company released the Slim model that it claimed profitability was on the horizon, and it seems that time has come.

Read the whole story
  2. This is great news for SONY, and I hope for consumers in the short run. I thought it was a 45nm... hmm... oh well. I may get this model for my games only when it's available, and my current fluffy for Blu-ray movies.
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,261   +92

Sources originally reported it as 45nm, but it was later confirmed to be a 40nm chip:

"[UPDATE] – Sony has confirmed with PocketNews that the RSX graphics chip is now 40nm, rather than the previously reported 45nm. The story has been updated to reflect this information."
  4. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 828   +17

Well maybe now the Sony is making some money on the PS3 they will consider re-releasing the backwards compatibility via software.....

Because that is the only reason I can see they discontinued backwards compatibility, is so they could make more $$ off additional ps2 slim sales.
  5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Software PS2 emulation was always finicky. The only to make sure it works properly would be to add the PS2 hardware inside the PS3 & they would be back at making an expensive system sold at a loss. It would probably have an effect on the power consumption of the system as well.
  6. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 990   +90

Yes because they have lots of money and don't have to recoup lost revenue on the system they lost money on manufacturing from 2006 to 2009.

Yes because losing less money on the PS3 and offsetting some of those losses on PS2 sales is just Sony being greedy.
  7. Winrar still has the option to split your rar file to floppy. Think how many of those you would have to carry around for a movie.
  8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,159   +67

I'd bet that the production cost was under the retail price for a while now. I don't believe these breakdowns when they state that the Blu-ray drive costs $60. That's about the price a consumer is paying for that. That doesn't mean they're making money, though. I have no idea what cut if any the stores take. Do they lose money on consoles as well? Then there's shipping, etc. But still, the unit price itself has probably been lower than the selling price for a while now.
  9. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ..

cool, making a reliable system more reliable ;)

I have a fat PS3 with HW BC, have only God of War 1 & 2 & re-purchased the HD PS3 version, so this feature isn't that important. i just like having the feature for some maybes'

huh! can't see the point !?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.