TechSpot

PlayStation 4's imminent launch will have PS3 prices dropping as much as 60%

By Julio Franco
Feb 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Sony is about to take console gaming into the future, and if industry experts are correct, that future will begin on February 20. That's when the Japanese giant will give the world its first glimpse at the PlayStation 4 at...

Read more

2. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 531   +146

Hmmm... still don't have enough money to invest into another console. Even if it's this "cheap"...

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,001   +1,502

I'm still not interested, no matter what the cost may be. The whole concept behind needing a designated console (proprietary at that) for gaming needs to die.

4. DriverJ

DriverJ TS Rookie

I for one still hold out hope that it is NOT a new Playstation. The PS2 was brought to it's technical limits by game devs before the next gen released. I think very few titles have even scratched that surface personally, and would love to see game devs given a bit longer to push the PS3 and 360 to their limits before the next generation rolls out.
    I'm also more than content to wait out and see what happens after launch with the launch window issues both the ps3 and 360 had, as well as the weak launch titles from both.

5. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 512   +84

I haven't bought a console since 2001 when I get the PS2. Some how I've had the white Xbox 360 and the new black one for free

6. "I think very few titles have even scratched that surface personally, and would love to see game devs given a bit longer to push the PS3 and 360 to their limits..."

Sorry to say this, but you couldn't be more wrong. I don't think you understand just how little 256 MB of RAM really is. Current-gen systems need to die and they need to die fast. Their limits were reached a long time ago.

7. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

I have no plans to initially buy a next-gen console, but I'm glad they're here because PC versions of cross platform games will be beefed up. I'm playing Mass Effect 3 I got for $10 (thanks to TechSpot weekend game deals), and the graphics are pretty lame.

8. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,498   +306

I'm kinda excited about the Next Gen, I wasn't last time round because games like Burnout and TimeSplitters etc... were still being released on PS2, so when the last gen hit I wasn't massively excited, but this time, well games have gone stale and are not pushing any boundary's anymore, You can only play CoD, Halo and Gears so many times before you realize that they essentially pushed the current hardware to its limits, bring on the next gen I say!

I will probably buy a PS4 this time round though, A) because (even though I don't play on it much) my Xbox red ring'ed itself and B) the Playstation always seemed the better quality machine, I kind of regret going the Xbox route this time round.

9. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

I'll just hold on to my PC, and reek the extra benefits of next-gen consoles, namely developers finally being able to progress with their graphics development. I'm sick of 6 year old consoles holding back what devs can do with their games, I for one am happy that the next gen are coming.

10. Burty117

Well in 4 hours we'll know exactly what all the fuss is about xD

11. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

Bumpity. It's been announced. I'll post back with links when I find them.

Here's a live-blog.

12. Burty117

Yeah I've just watched the whole thing, to be totally honest, I'm genuinely excited about it :D

13. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

Depends on the price for me. My hope is that with a x86 architecture and DX11 GPU, this will result in fewer exclusives and higher quality ports.

So, if the consoles are $600, I'd rather build a dedicated SteamBox for that much.

14. McNasty

McNasty TS Rookie Posts: 33

Cool, now I can pick up another PS3 at $150 for the best blue ray media streaming device on the planet. I game on a PC so I could care less about console based gaming.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.