PlayStation 5 sales soar past 40 million units

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? The PlayStation 5 has been riding high ever since turning in its best quarterly performance ever last holiday season, and the champagne is flowing once again today as Sony celebrates a significant milestone in the console's history. Sony Interactive Entertainment President and CEO Jim Ryan said they have now sold more than 40 million PlayStation 5 consoles to gamers to date.

The PlayStation 5 was announced as the successor to the PS4 in April 2019 but would not launch until more than a year later in November 2020. By then, the world was in a vastly different place thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic. It certainly wasn't the ideal environment to launch a flagship game console in but it was the reality for both Sony and Microsoft, who launched its Xbox Series platform in the same month.

Both companies faced inventory shortages that typically accompany new console launches, but the situation was magnified and extended due to supply chain hiccups caused by the pandemic. Worse yet, scalpers armed with automated shopping bots were scooping up any and all available systems and reselling them for huge profits.

Fortunately, that whole messy situation is in the rearview and new consoles from Sony and Microsoft are readily available at select retailers both locally and online.

Ryan said there are now more than 2,500 PlayStation 5 games available, and that the last two months alone have delivered some great titles including Street Fighter 6, Diablo IV, and Final Fantasy XVI, among others. A quick check of the PlayStation store reveals the number may be closer to 2,200 once you exclude duplicates for different editions of the game game.

In related news, one rumor making the rounds suggests Sony is considering expanding a limited-time summer promotion to other regions including the US. If true, shoppers may soon be able to scoop up a new PS5 at a $50 discount. That would put the base console at $449, leaving a little extra to go towards a game or a second DualSense controller.

Image credit: Charles Sims, Kamil S

Permalink to story.

Good for them I guess. There are a few games I want to play on PS5 since I've never owned a console, PS4 games are on that list as well. I just don't know should I wait for the refresh or the "slim" version or just get the current one. I imagine after I finish games I wanted to play it will just collect dust.

...but I thought Sony's gaming business was destroyed by Microsoft's attempt of buying Activision, which must be stopped at all costs?

Meanwhile Xbox sales are at 22m.

Did I mention that the Microsoft monopoly via the Activision acquisition must be stopped at any cost?! /s

...but I thought Sony's gaming business was destroyed by Microsoft's attempt of buying Activision, which must be stopped at all costs?
You lost me with first three words, really, seeing what was written after ;)
(ot) Good numbers at this stage. Good to see they still can deliver, ps5 is a great partner to my PC and deck. Can't wait for ghost of tsushima continuation though;)

Meanwhile Xbox sales are at 22m.

Did I mention that the Microsoft monopoly via the Activision acquisition must be stopped at any cost?! /s
Is there some kind of prize for not making games? like, 'do not create good new game for another 10 years and you will be allowed to buy Ubisoft, EA and Tencent" because consuments will benefit from consolidation?/s
MS xbox sales are surprisingly high as for someone who decided not to make games for a system meant for... yes, playing games. And no, buying more publishers wont make any more 'social justice'. Gamers need great titles and competition, not GaaS and consolidation. Weird this have to be said loudly.

Great to see it doing well. Have owned every Playstation console and had so much memorable gaming experiences since the Psone era.

My PS5, Switch, & PC all compliments my gaming setup well.

Why is the D-Pad still in the same place on the PS5 controller?

It's been bugging me since the PS3 onwards, seeing as every other controller has the analog stick there instead

Why is the D-Pad still in the same place on the PS5 controller?

It's been bugging me since the PS3 onwards, seeing as every other controller has the analog stick there instead
Because it is a very good place. Reason other companies often have it in different place in other controllers not because it is anyhow better, just because it was patented. Really makes no difference at all, in a steam deck it is as well symmetrical and that really improves the ergonomic of it. And I'm very happy with the DS layout, same, as I'm very happy with my Steam Controller (really hope for a new version) layout. I guess similar complain would be 'Why I need to press Triangle, not Y? it's bugging me!' ;)

To play games
Well that's just it, it sits there, I haven't played anything on it in months. I have it for Sony exclusives, which I used to enjoy, but I find myself not enjoying them anymore. The last game I played on it was Horizon FW and tbh, it kind of sucked, it was boring, I barely finished it and didn't bother doing side quests or anything like I did in the first game. Ratchet and Clank was the last fun game I played on the system. I'm kind of done with Sony, I just don't think their stuff is that great anymore. If I wouldn't lose access to my games library, I would probably sell it.

Back