PlayStation 5 will play over 4,000 PS4 games, but some might 'exhibit errors or unexpected...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: Sony says that the PlayStation 5 will be compatible with the "overwhelming majority" of PlayStation 4 titles. It estimates this number includes more than 4,000 games, but some games may have issues.

On Friday, Sony posted a PlayStation 5 support document detailing how PS5 backward compatibility will work. While it says that most PS4 games (over 4,000) will work on the new system, some may experience "errors or unexpected behavior." Additionally, even for games that work, some functionality that was available on the PlayStation 4 may not work on the PS5. Sony did not get into the specifics, though.

On the plus side, titles that do run without issues will benefit from the PS5's "Game Boost" mode. Games running with boost enabled "may" see higher and smoother frame rates. Game Boost is not a new concept for Sony. Back in the days of PS2 backward compatibility (before they stripped it out), users could adjust previous generation titles to run smoother and load faster from the PS2's system screen.

Even if one considers that a small number of games will be subject to issues, 4,000+ backward-compatible games is a large number to consider. While Sony did not have a full list of playable games, it did run down titles that it knows will not work on PS5. Those include:

• DWVR
  • Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Shadow Complex Remastered
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen
  • Joe's Diner

As you can see, it's not a deal-breaking list.

Sony recommends trying to play last-generation games on the PlayStation 5 before purchasing any DLC for them. It also says to keep the console's OS updated. As with any new hardware, there are frequently bug fixes that come along that may address functionality issues. A game that didn't work on launch day might work somewhere down the road.

It also discussed controller compatibility. The PlayStation 5 will have support for the DualShock 4 and officially licensed third-party controllers. However, legacy controllers will not work with games designed for the PS5. Sony also says that while the new DualSense will work with PS4 titles, users might want to hang on to their DS4.

"For the best experience, use a DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller when playing PS4 games and PS VR games on a PS5 console," reads the support document. "PS5 games are not compatible with the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller."

One other thing that Sony noted is that users can transfer their PS4 games and save data to the PS5 over WiFi. This functionality is not entirely new. Users can currently use the same process to transfer data from one PS4 to another, but it is the first time migration has worked between generations.

Image credit: D.Kvasnetskyy

Permalink to story.

They are just lazy, PS5 should be able more capable to run PS one games easily with those CPU/GPU specs and surely PS2 with some emulator layer. If they need help probably they should contact ePSXe guys
The PS4 already has a PS2 emulator built into the OS, they just don't have many games on the store that are PS2 era. Sony if they wanted to could easily allow PS2 backwards compatibility on PS5.

I don`t get the obsession with backwards compatibility. I have PS2, PS3, and PS4 and I have played the best games of their time at that time, I have beautiful memories and most big games were upgraded and re-released for the new console version anyway. I think the reason you buy the latest console is to enjoy the latest games. If melancholia hits me, I will plug my old console again, but really, most of them haven`t aged well. I don`t understand people buying PS5 and be outraged that they can`t play 10 old PS4 games out of 4000. Someone here said "they are just lazy", for not rewriting a big chunk of old architecture and adding emulators, well, think about this: you are lazy enough not to plug in your old console.

PS5s backward capability or lack of isnt anything new. Most heard of this months ago. PS4 titles that most never heard of isnt helping them. But what will hurt is the fact ppl who want to play ps 1, 2 n 3 titles cant.

Oh and watch that list of ps4 games with errors grow much bigger.

The DS4 and older controllers isnt anything new either. That got reported a few months back. You can use older controllers on a ps5 but for ps4 games, like wtf. Gotta love Sony for making ppl spend more money. Smart sobs. They pulled a Apple.

I don`t get the obsession with backwards compatibility. I have PS2, PS3, and PS4 and I have played the best games of their time at that time, I have beautiful memories and most big games were upgraded and re-released for the new console version anyway. I think the reason you buy the latest console is to enjoy the latest games. If melancholia hits me, I will plug my old console again, but really, most of them haven`t aged well. I don`t understand people buying PS5 and be outraged that they can`t play 10 old PS4 games out of 4000. Someone here said "they are just lazy", for not rewriting a big chunk of old architecture and adding emulators, well, think about this: you are lazy enough not to plug in your old console.
Not everyone has an older console. Many consoles get broken. Also consoles take space, it's pretty neat idea to have one box to play which can play all PlayStation games. In no way I am saying that new consoles absolutely must play older games but it's a nice thing to have.

This is one of the reasons why PC gaming will always be superior to console gaming, we don't have to worry about stuff like this

While Nostalgia is definitely a factor I believe the best thing about being able to play old (or oldish) games is that you can find many hidden gems that no one was talking at the time of release. I can't tell you how many times I've purchased old games on PC and found they were excellent. I'm sure the devs aren't complaining about earning profits on those games either without any work on their end after all those years.

" If melancholia hits me, I will plug my old console again, but really, most of them haven`t aged well."

It depends on the game but older PC titles can take some advantage of your PC's newer hardware. You can apply AA that the game doesn't natively support, run at higher frame-rates, higher resolution, ect. For classics like FF7 there are a significant number of mods that make the game visually better. Of course, how could you not mentioned mods and PC in the same sentence. They are a big thing that draws people to continue supporting / playing games.

There's a sense of continuity on the PC. You have one device where you have access to nearly the entire history of gaming on, that is freedom.

They are just lazy, PS5 should be able more capable to run PS one games easily with those CPU/GPU specs and surely PS2 with some emulator layer. If they need help probably they should contact ePSXe guys
Getting emulation to work properly takes years of constant development even even then some games will have bugs because of weird quirks in the coding. It's why they didn't even try to emulate the PS3.

Getting emulation to work properly takes years of constant development even even then some games will have bugs because of weird quirks in the coding. It's why they didn't even try to emulate the PS3.
But it has been years and modders that do it on the side in the evenings as a hobby have got Emulation for PS1 and PS2 games working near enough perfectly with upgraded resolutions etc...

I will plug my old console again
It's not that simple though, the PS2 didn't have a HDMI port and not all TV's have a component input anymore. On top of this, older consoles can die, making your £40-£50 purchased game unplayable.
Someone here said "they are just lazy", for not rewriting a big chunk of old architecture and adding emulators.
It's already done, all that work has already been done for the PS4 and even if you ignore that, there's PS2 emulators for the PC that people did, for free, in their spare time, clearly it can't be that difficult for Sony to implement backwards compatibility.

For me, I would actually pay more for the console if it supported PS1 and PS2 games as well. I assume the Blu-Ray drive would need to be slightly different because (I could be wrong about this) old PS1 and PS2 discs had certain DRM stored on them that only the consoles could read.

If they sold the emulator apps on the PlayStation Store could be another way forward. Open the app and it waits for a disk to be inserted for example.

I would like a proper statement from Sony on this, what's their reasoning behind deliberately not pursuing backwards compatibility (I do understand why PS3 isn't being pursued since even on PC people in their spare time struggle to emulate so it's probably actually difficult to do).

I don`t get the obsession with backwards compatibility.
I like the idea of being able to play the games I already bought at higher performance and / or higher quality. Picking up older used games for a low price is a bonus.

Coming from an X-Box One S (bought it because it was dirt cheap on sale), it means that I‘ll get to enjoy many of the newer games I have @4K and higher fps on the series X.

But it has been years and modders that do it on the side in the evenings as a hobby have got Emulation for PS1 and PS2 games working near enough perfectly with upgraded resolutions etc...

It's not that simple though, the PS2 didn't have a HDMI port and not all TV's have a component input anymore. On top of this, older consoles can die, making your £40-£50 purchased game unplayable.

It's already done, all that work has already been done for the PS4 and even if you ignore that, there's PS2 emulators for the PC that people did, for free, in their spare time, clearly it can't be that difficult for Sony to implement backwards compatibility.

For me, I would actually pay more for the console if it supported PS1 and PS2 games as well. I assume the Blu-Ray drive would need to be slightly different because (I could be wrong about this) old PS1 and PS2 discs had certain DRM stored on them that only the consoles could read.

If they sold the emulator apps on the PlayStation Store could be another way forward. Open the app and it waits for a disk to be inserted for example.

I would like a proper statement from Sony on this, what's their reasoning behind deliberately not pursuing backwards compatibility (I do understand why PS3 isn't being pursued since even on PC people in their spare time struggle to emulate so it's probably actually difficult to do).
Sony can't pick up something made by modders and they have to focus their manpower somewhere.

I doubt it's financial decision, it's most likely a lack of manpower and time. If they could hire another 2-3 people to make this feature they would have done it already. They probably had no choice but to focus on just PS4 compatibility. It's not an excuse for not having PS1-2 back-compat, but as a programmer myself, I painfully underspend how difficult it is to cut features to meet a deadline.

If enough demand is there we might see Sony bring it back in future updates once the launch and post launch development slows down and they have more time.

Ok, let`s see the arguments:
"Consoles get broken". True, but you can buy one from Ebay dirt cheap. And then what`s the point of owning old games if you have to buy them again online? "Consoles take space". Really? That much space you can`t afford?" PS2 doesn`t have HDMI". Have you ever heard of a converter? "PCs are better, modding, etc". Yes, they are, in most respects, I have never argued with that, but this was about consoles. On the other hand I own a bunch of old games on Steam that I had only played once for max 10 min and forgot about them completely. "You could find hidden gems". If they weren`t that good back in the days, I don`t see how they could be that great now.
Look, the thing is if you want to go retro or play old gen there`s a lot of options. As I have already said most good games from PS2 and PS3, even PS1 have been remastered. I had really enjoyed the remaster of FFX and FFVIII, God of War 3, Yakuza or TLoU. Then you have the remakes: Shadow of Colossus, Resident Evil 2-3, FFVII and probably more coming. Then you have a retro library on PS Store, which will most likely grow with demand. Then you have the PS1 mini, arguably a flop because of the titles, but since it`s hackable you get a whole library of options. Moreover 99% of PS4 games will be compatible with PS5, so I`m still not getting it. I might be biased because I`m in my 40s and I don`t have that much time to play anymore, but there`s literally a ton of excellent games consisting of hundreds of hours already available and more are coming and you are basically saying "but I want them all"?
Sure, in an ideal world, wouldn`t it be nice to have a PS5 that could play all PS titles ever? Maybe yes, but I do believe the price of the console will double and I don`t see that many people paying for that and trust me, if it had made sense financially they would have done it already.

Ok, let`s see the arguments:
"Consoles get broken". True, but you can buy one from Ebay dirt cheap.
So we have to just trust there's some spares going out there we might be able to get on the cheap? Right...
what`s the point of owning old games if you have to buy them again online?
So you argue later in your comment to just buy "remakes and remasters" yet you first argue against buying them again? Very inconsistent argument...
"Consoles take space". Really? That much space you can`t afford?
Yeah actually, You may have some big house and you can afford the space for 4 consoles to be hooked up all the time but I certainly don't.
" PS2 doesn`t have HDMI". Have you ever heard of a converter?
Oh lovely, a Composite to HDMI converter... Even so, the argument you originally made was "JUST PLUG THEM IN WHEN YOU NEED THEM!" When clearly that's not possible without various adaptors, Surround Sound as well is another thing you'd need to convert from PS2's Optical Out.
As I have already said most good games from PS2 and PS3, even PS1 have been remastered.
Couldn't disagree with you more, Timesplitters 1,2, Future Perfect; Need for Speed Underground&2; Red Faction 1&2; Freedom Fighters; Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec & 4; Juiced; Black; Burnout 3: Takedown; Beyond Good & Evil... Honestly, the list of games just goes on that have had no re-release, remaster or remake.
I had really enjoyed the remaster of FFX and FFVIII, God of War 3, Yakuza or TLoU. Then you have the remakes: Shadow of Colossus, Resident Evil 2-3, FFVII and probably more coming. Then you have a retro library on PS Store, which will most likely grow with demand.
That's nice and all but again, what about games that haven't been? What about games that got terrible remakes or remasters? The Retro Library basically doesn't grow, I check it regularly as I'm quite happy to re-buy my PS2 games on the PS Store when the price is right.
I`m still not getting it. I might be biased because I`m in my 40s and I don`t have that much time to play anymore, but there`s literally a ton of excellent games consisting of hundreds of hours already available and more are coming and you are basically saying "but I want them all"?
Are you saying you've never been Nostalgic? Also, some older games (I'll use the Timesplitter games as an example here) just haven't been bettered yet. You don't get map editors anymore and I'm yet to come across a modern fps that's as much fun as Timsplitters is.
I do believe the price of the console will double and I don`t see that many people paying
What?! Why on earth would it DOUBLE the price of the console? even if you needed to include PS3 hardware you would not be doubling the price. To emulate PS1 and PS2 games on a PS4/PS5 costs nothing hardware wise. You're now just pulling figures out of thin air.
trust me, if it had made sense financially they would have done it already.
So you have some kind of insider knowledge? You know the financial impact of getting some programmers rallied to add more games to the Retro Store? Please... do tell...

At the end of the day, It really wouldn't be that hard to create an emulation app for PS1 and PS2 games or at the very least, add a lot more games to the retro library on the PS Store.

I want a proper explanation from Sony on it, Is it licensing issues? It can't be financial as all the PS2 games on the store currently have ten's of thousands of reviews let alone what the actual figure is of purchases.

Microsoft have been able to get Original Xbox and Xbox360 games running on their newer consoles (Including using the original discs), after doing a bit of searching, I see similar games also aren't on their backwards compatibility list (Freedom Fighters and Timesplitters as examples) so if I was to take a guess, Sony can't be bothered with some kind of licensing minefield which is a real shame. Eventually my PS2 will break or my discs will fail and games like these will just be forgotten which feels wrong to me.

The best thing about new technology is not only about new games but the ability of playing old games too.

There's nothing worse than forgetting about your roots.

It's not about laziness, but how dedicated you are about your fan base.

Just because it's a new period, does not mean you have to forget your past. In fact, the better games are from yesterday than today's world of uninspired and copy-cat games and sequels and remakes.

The amount of remakes we see today are testament to the lack of imagination and innovation in today's gaming world,

So we have to just trust there's some spares going out there we might be able to get on the cheap? Right...
Ok, then maybe wait for PS2 mini? I don`t know, sh1t happens.

So you argue later in your comment to just buy "remakes and remasters" yet you first argue against buying them again? Very inconsistent argument...
Remastered: better resolution, updated textures, sounds; remakes: a new gen game with the same scenario. I would buy those, but not old games I already own. Where is the inconsistency?

Yeah actually, You may have some big house and you can afford the space for 4 consoles to be hooked up all the time but I certainly don't.
Who says you have to hook up 4 consoles at the time? That is just lazy. It`s not that you can possibly play on four of them everyday. You hook up what you need for the time you need it.

Oh lovely, a Composite to HDMI converter... Even so, the argument you originally made was "JUST PLUG THEM IN WHEN YOU NEED THEM!" When clearly that's not possible without various adaptors, Surround Sound as well is another thing you'd need to convert from PS2's Optical Out.
Ok, I`ll correct myself: "Plug them when you need them using a converter and various adaptors". Jeez!

Couldn't disagree with you more, Timesplitters 1,2, Future Perfect; Need for Speed Underground&2; Red Faction 1&2; Freedom Fighters; Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec & 4; Juiced; Black; Burnout 3: Takedown; Beyond Good & Evil... Honestly, the list of games just goes on that have had no re-release, remaster or remake.
The list could go on, but do you own them or not? Cause if you do you can play them on your old console and that was the point. Also most games you have listed are also available to PC or can be emulated in PCSX2. So it`s not like you don`t have any options.

That's nice and all but again, what about games that haven't been? What about games that got terrible remakes or remasters? The Retro Library basically doesn't grow, I check it regularly as I'm quite happy to re-buy my PS2 games on the PS Store when the price is right.
The retro library is quite limited at the moment, I`ll give you that.

Are you saying you've never been Nostalgic? Also, some older games (I'll use the Timesplitter games as an example here) just haven't been bettered yet. You don't get map editors anymore and I'm yet to come across a modern fps that's as much fun as Timsplitters is.
I had said I get nostalgic from time to time and when I do I dust off my PS2. I do agree some games were great and don`t have remasters that`s why I said "most good games" and not "all". Recently, Blizzard completely destroyed my old Warcraft 3, so cry me a river about lost classics.

What?! Why on earth would it DOUBLE the price of the console? even if you needed to include PS3 hardware you would not be doubling the price. To emulate PS1 and PS2 games on a PS4/PS5 costs nothing hardware wise. You're now just pulling figures out of thin air.
Ok, you got me here, I have no idea how much it costs to have a PS5 that reads a PS1/2 CD or other hardware requirements, however leaving that aside you must take into consideration not only the emulation part, but also the costs of building such a big library and keeping it online, licensing and the slimy corporate practices of charging anything extra. So yeah, not double, but still more expansive.

So you have some kind of insider knowledge? You know the financial impact of getting some programmers rallied to add more games to the Retro Store? Please... do tell...
I don`t but Sony does. And is not just that. It`s the whole financial argument. Will you not buy a PS5 because of poor or lack of backwards compatibility to PS1/2/3? You know they have market studies and they say ok, less than 1% won`t buy because of that, do we bother with the extra cost? But if it were 10% or 20% then they would bother. Again, I`m just pulling numbers to make sense of their decision.

I want a proper explanation from Sony [ ...]
You are free to contact them.

Eventually my PS2 will break or my discs will fail and games like these will just be forgotten which feels wrong to me.
Nothing lasts forever, but we do have our wonderful memories.

I have maybe played 3 games of the previous generation.

My PS3 is plugged in next to my PS4, I am a button away from launching it. I haven't touched it since year 2 of the PS4. My PS2 is stuck in a cabinet for several years. My PS1 haven't seen daylight for a decade, my game collection just taking up space. For me, nostalgia is an abstract concept, the magic is gone once I try to connect to it. I like the idea of BC, but I had a setup good as BC, and I don't use it. The only reason I liked the remaster of Crash Bandicoot is because it is nostalgia, but I can never play it over and over and over like I did it as a kid, because the game is simply not that great anymore. I picked up Goldeneye again on N64 and have trouble calling it on the best FPS of all time ever since.

I cherish the memories but have little interest in being stuck in the past, hunting for those memories. The only time I really dig back into the old games are finishing those I never did, I spend more time looking for new ones and is amazing the number of top quality games that are released right now, I really fail to understand why people insist on going back to the past. I have no time to experience the best of today already.

The Remasters for me is for people who never experienced the magic of the game, because they were young/not born/not interested when it came out, you are a fool to buying those. And I count myself as a fool, as I too was chasing an experience that I can never recapture.

Just because:IMG_0418.jpg

That's actually an older image. Add to it my PSOne:
IMG_0506-2.jpg

And a GameCube and a PSVR. You get the idea.

Back