PlayStation controller design explained by the creator

By Matthew
Aug 26, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. In a chat with Famitsu magazine this week, PlayStation designer Teiyu Goto explained how Sony deviated from the competition's flat, alphabet-laden game pads. In creating the company's first console, Goto said he wanted to keep things simple. "We wanted something simple to remember, which is why we went with icons or symbols, and I came up with the triangle-circle-X-square combination immediately afterward."

Read the whole story
  2. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...
    i really like the design & the feeling of the PS2 & PS3 controllers ...just the right size & weight.
  3. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 828   +17

Well I have to say I'm happy with their "radical departure" from what was the current standard :D.
  4. natefalk

natefalk TS Rookie Posts: 78

interesting insight... I had no idea the button symbols actually meant something.
  5. Seeing how Nintendo designed Sony's controller, this post is funny.
  6. teklord

teklord TS Guru Posts: 481

I forget what order the shapes are in, so I try to remember them by line count. Circle being 1 up to square being 4. Great controller that is a tad small and I wish they would swap the left analog stick with the d-pad for PS4. Logitech Cordless PS2 controllers are better than Sony's. Here's to innovation!
  7. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TS Enthusiast Posts: 194

what a revolutionary idea... these japanese ppl, always bring the best out of human race
  8. Well, the DualShock is the greatest controller ever made, after all. It's just right. It's design is simplistic, functional, and its so lightweight, sometimes you forget you have it in your hands.

9. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

Which can be a problem with street fighter starts cheating and you swing at your expensive lcd.
  10. SilverCider

SilverCider TS Rookie Posts: 71

Haha! I love this!
  11. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,892   +645

I dunno, Prefer the Xbox 360 personally, after years of using the ps2 controller I would choose the xbox one over it any day.
  12. Johny47

Johny47 TS Rookie Posts: 157

The Playstation 2 controller is my favouriet of all time, it hasn't changed much since the first 'PSX' through to today's 'bad boy' console the PS3 =)

It's very comfortable and easy to use and in my opinion I prefer the Dualshock 2 to Dualshock 3 because of the triggers mostly, they're good for racing games but not very good for shooting etc.

I'm also glad they took a chance and changed from 'nintendo's flat controller design'.
  13. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 612

I guess there was a lot more thought put into it than I ever thought, interesting read.
  14. I find the Xbox controller to be confusing while the PS controllers are set out nice and simple
  15. I've always hated the symbols on the PlayStation controller. I've never gotten used to pressing a round button that is named "square". The best controller of all time is the Game Cube controller. Fits the hand perfectly, provides enough buttons for complex games, but still simple to use.