PlayStation One games arrive on Android Market, restricted to Xperia Play

Emil

Last month, Sony Ericsson officially unveiled the Xperia Play, the first PlayStation Certified device. In anticipation of the Xperia Play launch, Sony has officially unleashed some PlayStation One games on the Android Market. They are available in English, Spanish, Italian, or German.

Currently, Sony has five PlayStation games available: Syphon Filter, Destruction Derby, MediEvil, Jumping Fish, and Cool Boarders 2. Available titles are listed for $6.38 each. More games for the device are expected to appear on the Android Market in the coming days and weeks, including at least two more PlayStation One games: Wild Arms and Rally Cross. The games are only officially supported on the Xperia Play (we expect this to be hacked sooner rather than later).

In portrait mode, the Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread) device is your typical smartphone with a 5MP camera, a 4" capacitive multitouch screen (480 x 854 resolution), and social networking features. In landscape mode, the slide out keyboard reveals a digital D pad, two analogue touch pads, two shoulder buttons, and the four PlayStation icons (circle, cross, square, and triangle). The device is powered by a 1Ghz Snapdragon processor, an Adreno 205 GPU, 512MB of RAM, and comes in either black or white. It has 400MB of internal storage space, which is expandable up to 32GB via the microSD slot (an 8GB memory card is included).

Sony Ericsson has yet to announce pricing and release date details, though we are expecting it on Verizon in the US.

Permalink to story.

Also worth mention is that PSX4Droid (PS1 emulator for android) has been pulled from the Market, most likely due to Sony sucking ***.

I, for one, am done with Sony.

..and it's not even Geo anymore; it's their entire approach to customers as a whole.

How long before someone figures out how to run them on other devices. Although I imagine it will be crude since most or no other android devices have controller hardware. Uhm like d-pad or thub nubs, but I'm sure someone will do something, but it will not be practical for most. So sony wins right... whatever I say. My only issue is that they are putting it on the Android Market and the games are not compatible or sold to other android customers.

negroplasty said:
Also worth mention is that PSX4Droid (PS1 emulator for android) has been pulled from the Market, most likely due to Sony sucking ***.

Guest said:
I, for one, am done with Sony.

..and it's not even Geo anymore; it's their entire approach to customers as a whole.

Seriously, I'm f*cking sick of this. What should Sony do then? Do you think their behavior is wrong? Do you think they should give up on everything? Get a f*cking grip, or at least try to justify yourselves.

These *****s have spread all over the internet. Why don't you say you are done with the iPhone, after they tried to combat jailbreaking? Why don't you say you are done with Microsoft, for banning all those hacked XBL accounts? Why don't you say you are done with Blizzard because they try and stop private servers or cheaters? Why don't you say you are done with Microsoft for trying to stop illegal W7 installations? WHY?!

Rant over.

hey Omnislip, you're not making sense.
Playstation is hardware a person owns. What you're doing is comparing software against it. STOP IT!

as for iPhone - jailbreaking is leagal.

Guest said:
hey Omnislip, you're not making sense.
Playstation is hardware a person owns. What you're doing is comparing software against it. STOP IT!

as for iPhone - jailbreaking is leagal.

Erm...

I think I made complete sense talking about how people should stop complaining at Sony for trying to preserve their profits. What else should you expect?

I don't really know what you're talking about with this software and hardware thing...

Back