TechSpot

PlayStation Phone specs and images leaked

By Emil
Oct 27, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Details on the rumored PlayStation Phone have finally leaked, courtesy of Engadget (Gallery 1, Gallery 2). The device will be heading to the market soon, possibly with Android 3.0 (codenamed Gingerbread). If it indeed ships with Gingerbread, it could be out in time...

Read the whole story
  2. crazyboy88

crazyboy88 Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

I might actually buy this :)
  3. UT66

UT66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 144

looks legit, and completely unoriginal, they didn't learn a single thing from the DS.
  4. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 870   +129

I can't imagine downloading this, but I could see a huge market for it.
    I'm sure this would be a big hit.
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,284   +24

This'd be something I'd buy, but I imagine battery life would be abysmal, unless the battery's fairly large, which (along with the extra hardware required for the buttons et al) would make it weigh a lot more than a typical phone. If Sony can get around this, it'd make for a pretty awesome phone to have.

Let's also hope they don't go "iPhone 4" on us and put the antenna in a stupid place just to make it look cool.
  6. Recipe7

Recipe7 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 142

That looks really hideous, but I know some people will dig the original 'PS' look.
  7. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,041   +72

IMO key is to focus on delivering something which gives the best experience to their target audience instead of being jack of all trades and good at nothing.
  8. hassaan

hassaan Newcomer, in training Posts: 90

I remember a few years ago there was talk of the patents that Sony had made about a "Playstation phone" and... well here it is! This is very exciting and the phone looks good. The choice of touchpads instead of analog sticks is interesting. It could work, but odd since we know they are capable of thin nubs for sliders on PSP Go.
  9. nickblame

nickblame Newcomer, in training Posts: 41

somehow i don't see this succeeding. I could be wrong but look at nintendo, every handheld is popular and it only plays games.
  10. vangrat

vangrat Newcomer, in training Posts: 223

I have been watching this since it was first hinted at. This is my dream phone. Android apps and PSP games....I'm grinning just from thinking about it. If it is the PSP Go with android...then there really is no need to worry about whether it will be a good device. These are two items that are already prooven.

Its as if MS went open source and stopped being *******s.
  11. crzydave

crzydave Newcomer, in training Posts: 23

I don't even!?! Is this supposed to make up for the pspGo? Last time i remember someone trying to put a hand held into a phone the N-Gage is what happened...

12. bioflex

bioflex Newcomer, in training Posts: 70

this looks okay....but how can this phone stack up to games on the psp?...if it cant then i dont see any reason why you shoudnt get a phone and a better handheld gaming set over this.
  13. SilverCider

SilverCider Newcomer, in training Posts: 72

It looks a lot like one of sony ericssons previous phones, the vivaz pro! But of course with the PS pad instead of qwerty a keyboard.
  14. alexandrionel

alexandrionel Newcomer, in training Posts: 94

I predict this will be as succesful as Microsoft Kin one and two. It is designed for youths and it is fugly.
    Probably will also be very expensive which again...will help it have the faith of Kin.
  15. rizalp

rizalp Newcomer, in training Posts: 39

Sony definitely need to learn about what happened to N-Gage..
    Personally, i think the idea to merge phone and a handheld game is a good idea, only if they merge social aspect into it.
  16. fritz123

fritz123 Newcomer, in training Posts: 56

looks bad right now. i hope they put more effort to the design.

im guessing one big problem for that will be the battery since your gonna use it for a phone AND a psp. but games would be awesome thought. having a PSP Android phone would be awesome. just gonna have to get over the design. ughh. might buy one though
  17. rebelinhyd

rebelinhyd Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

This is something a lot of people would want but i doubt it'd be as big a success as say the iphone..the main issue with a phone like this would be the battery life considering gaming would be the top priority and it does drain batteries and then u wont have a phone to use.but interesting nevertheless.
  18. omega00

omega00 Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

Hey, it's a Playstation and a phone. What more can a guy want from a phone? It isn't particularly pretty, but it's only a prototype. For a weird reason, I want a phone that can also be used as a taser. That would be neat!
  19. eeprom

eeprom Newcomer, in training

yes, i'm saving my salary for this
  20. Skyphox

Skyphox Newcomer, in training

Android AND PSP games... sold!
  21. grimm808

grimm808 Newcomer, in training Posts: 30

Hmmmm... Those controls look a little flimzy, I wonder how smooth playing games on it will be? Kind of reminds me of PSP go.
  22. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 630   +122

Is this gonna be another overly expensive flop with hidden rootkits?
  23. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,575   +47

Who said "never mix business and pleasure"

I'll be surprised if this fully hits...I myself am of the "Playstation generation"...but this, Nah, not my bag.
  24. kaonis92

kaonis92 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

It will be like an iPhone with controller buttons!
  25. Alster37

Alster37 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 324

So its a playstation 'phone' but it doesn't do any of the things phones do? If they can get the unreal engine 3 on this beast like they have done with the iphone,touch,and ipad then this will definitely go on my list.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.