Please Help A Fellow Noob! =d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. First of all, i want to say that this is my first thread EVER.

Well here's the deal: My laptop started tweaking out for some reason.... It would turn on, but the screen wouldn't...
My Laptop is a Sony VAIO pcg-995L

The funny thing is that when i tip it to the side, (towards the right) The screen would work!!!
*Uhhhhh yeah.... There's Sony for ya*

Now, it doesn't want to turn on at all.
CAN ANYONE HELP?!

Take the laptop in for service. The LDC display interface cable is probably bad. Try connecting an external monitor. If the external monitor works, the LCD cable is most likely bad, and a technician needs to do the replacement.

...and while your at it, please read the "New Members please read" link in my signature. HELP in a thread title is a no no

Sounds like something loose... cable or connector, or a tie-down on your cpu fan or heat sink.
Look for external parts that are broken... power socket for the adapter loose, loose USB port, power switch, or screen inverter or something connected to the LCD screen that is loose.
Listen, or feel, for wobbly optical drive, hard drive, or fan.
Sony laptops are notorious for having dirt, dust, and hair in cooling channels. Also, they have high failure rates of the lcd screen inverter (it is behind the screen, and usually looks like a fat pen.
Sniff for an ordor of burned stuff... which can be an indicator that something is getting too hot with inadequate cooling.
Sony laptops are very, very difficult to trouble shoot. Sony does not make it easy to do... and will not help... and will not sell you parts if it is out of warranty.

The external monitor will rule out LCD backlight and cabling problems. While Sony laptops/notebooks are rather difficult to troubleshoot, Sony parts are readily available from most 3rd party notebook part vendors... If you have never worked on a laptop before, don't start with this one. Take it to a computer repair shop

I took it apart, and blew all the dust out. When i put it together, it turned on!!!

But the screen still doesn't power on. I tried to use an external Monitor, so it seems like the LCD isn't the problem. What is??

It's possible that the video IC on the motherboard is fried. This means a new motherboard whitch means a new laptop in most cases

Well first i took out the battery, then the Dvd Drive, Hard drive, and the floppy.

Then the whole LCD came off.
(I found a ground loose. Could this be the problem? I tightened it, but the lcd still doesnt work. That's making me think that it being loose fried something...)

Then i took the HeatSink/Fan WhatchaMaCallit off... That was basically it. I blew out the dust, and then did everything backwards.

ARRRRGHHHHh I want my baby to work again!!

Bad motherboard... Laptops are very sensitive to static electricity and you better exercise being very delicate when removing cables and flat cables. They break very easily. Even if the LCD cable was loose, the external monitor should have worked. You can even use a CRT monitor externally on a laptop. By selecting the external monitor via keyboard, you should have seen something on the screen

marilik, 1st of all, can you tell me right model name instead of product code?(right model name is on the LCD assembly facing to you)

yeah that was in my original Thread.

It's a pcg-995L
Would pictures of the thing help? I'll post them within the hour.

marilik, you told us the model code(it's written on the bottom of the laptop). we ask you model name of the laptop. i think, that this is PCG-FX310 laptop.
anyway: sony laptops problems are: bad memory slots soldering, bad connection with PCB parts(many sony laptops made with several PCB parts which are connected using cables). marilik, don't forget to check connection of power board with MB and especially cable of power button.
oh, i forgot. the complete diagnosis would be: dead motherboard.

PCG-995L is a series number

The model will be:
PCGFX310
PCGFX310X
PCGFX310P
or
PCGGR370P

Please look for it, we know what we need. I know this is confusing... It took me some time to figure out what Sony was trying to do, confuse everyone!

Ok guys i checked the laptop all over, and i couldn't seem to find the Model Code.... :/
But i did some research, and i'l 98% sure that the Model is PCGFX310.

Would it be possible to purchase a brand-spanking-new MB? Or is it unavailable?
Whats the estimated price range?

marilik, i suspect - no, you can't find at the present time NEW motherboard for this laptop. even, if you could do this - the prise will be bigger than this laptop costs(correct me if i wasn't right).

You could try and get the laptop repaired. Chances that it is something other than the motherboard are good, at this point. What part of the World are you in?

you have a bad or loose internal cable or connection. Parts could also be broken or loose internally. This will require professional servicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back