Please help... AMD 6000+ Temp at 60C

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysvxrocks

According to my bios... (MB is ASUS M2N32 Sli Deluxe) the temp of the processor is at 60C. As stated I have an AMD 6000+ with Zalman CNPS 9500 cooling. I used arctic silver 5 thermal paste as well. What would be making my temps go up so dang high? Someone please help. -Dennis

what's the temp of your case and mobo, and is this the idle temp, or full load temp. Also how hot is it in the room.

This is the idle temp, just sitting in the bios menu. The MB temp is 44, but Im not sure of the case temp. I have 3 120MM fans on the case, one intake, two out in the back. My room isnt that hot, about 70.

might be a heatsink issue, make sure its seated properly. and if you use the AS5 you only need about the size of a grain of salt. We see these issues all the time, mostly its a heatsink issue.

I just reseated it about an hour ago. I only used that much AS5. The heatsink seems to be sitting on there as its supposed to be. Ive checked multiple times.

Also what kind of PSU would you need for this processor? I have a 550 Watt... is that enough?

That should be enough power to run that thing. What is your vcore voltage, if its too high it can increase the temp a lot

zzz, 60 for a 6000+ is not bad. BIOS reads load temps, and 60 load temps are okay.

Of course, we'd expect more from that 9500, you might be looking at a flawed installation, where its not been installed perfectly. Did you remember to put thermal paste?

A grain of salt of AS5 might be a tad too little. The recommended is half a grain of rice (which is still more than the grains of salt from my shaker. Trust me, I just went and checked it out). With half a grain of rice, it is just enough to cover the whole die, any less and you risk not covering everything.

If you wanna check, just install it, and take it out, and see how much it covers. Of course, you'd need to clean it all out and reapply again. Might be useful for a first timer to do it, just to give you an idea how much you need.

When I took it off last night, I re applied the thermal paste. I put about the size of a grain of rice, then spread it evenly with a credit card. Temps are still reading the same as they were before I took it off. So 60C isnt bad for this CPU? That seems really hot to me, considering people are saying they get 35C with the same cooler. (In the reviews on Newegg) What program could I use in windows to tell me the correct temp? MBM didnt work for me, and I dont kow of any others. -Dennis

Yeah, the temps are alright for the CPU, but it isn't normal for the CPU with that cooler on.

Which means there's something else wrong with it. Maybe your airflow isn't high enough. Maybe you forgot to plug in the fan. Maybe alot of things. I'd say check your airflow.

p.s. I personally don't spread the thermal paste around with a credit card or anything, I just leave a blob there, and let the pressing down of the cooler do the spreading.

I use a ziploc bag to spread it. I have heard that letting the HSF spread it can create pockets of air in between the CPU and HSF.

What about the possibility that the Mobo sensor may be faulty?

Is there proper air circulation in your case?

The mobo sensor can be faulty. Not all sensors are perfect. The only thing you could do to confirm the high temps is to run the PC for 5 minutes or so and then shut it down. Gingerly touch around the bottom of the heatsink with one finger to see if it's as hot as it's supposed to be. My guess is it's probably not.

Im going tonight to buy some new 120mm case fans. The ones I have are silent, so the dont move much air. They spin at 800rpm. Also Ive asked before, what kind of PSU should you have for this processor? I have a 550 watt, but when playing games it makes the internal fan on it vibrate causing a loud noise until I shut it off for five or so minutes. Could this be caused by the heat as well? Just fyi, I also have a 8800 GTS 640mb video card, but with aftermarket cooling (Thermalright HR-03 Plus) So that combined with the cpu I was wondering what wattage it consumed. Hopefully I dont have to send another PSU back to newegg :(

By the way, Thanks for all the help guys :) :) :)

BTW: if the fan making the loud noise is the psu fan when the system is under load, you should return that psu asap.

ps: check out that site I linked

a good pwr supply at 500watts should cost you maybe 100-150 bucks, you definately want stable rails for that gpu. I'm actually using a silent psu, its in my sig.

I wouldnt recommend that psu, go with a well known brand. Basically with that hog of a cpu and that baby hog of a gpu, ur shortening the life on your psu, the 12v rails are not really where you want them i see 12v1@17 and 12v2@18, I wouldnt even run my 7950's on those rails, Invest in a good psu. Couple people on here blew entire systems because of lower end psu's. Its basically the heart of your machine.

do you really need led on ur psu?

I bought this PSU almost a year ago... then about 4 months ago I had to RMA it. Got this one now, and again its going dead. Im thinking Ill just run down to the local shop and pick a new one up. Then RMA this one (newegg wont refund me) and end up selling the new one.

look at thermaltake, ocz, they have some good ones. How many watts do you want, I recommend 500watts, if you're going to sli your gpu anytime maybe 650

Im not going to go sli anytime soon. Ill look into some 600's at the local shop. Ill let you guys know my results in a couple hours. Thanks for the help, I hope this works out.

Just to give everyone an update, I bought a new power supply, as well as 2 new 120mm case fans. Hopefully this will fix all of the problems Ive been having. Ill give updated temps here in a little while. As for the power supply, heres a link to the one I bought. I didnt order it however, I found it at the local store for $109. Same deal, so I figured Id just get it there, lol. I was scared at first, because I bought an antec before that, took it home, hooked it all up, and the computer wouldnt boot up. It wouldnt even post. So I took the whole computer in to the store, and it turns out that the first power supply had extremely low voltages. That was a 500 watt, but I decided to play it safe, and got this one. Thanks again everyone for the help. -Dennis

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121002

Heres the results as of now... program is PC Wizard 2007 (Nice program BTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back