Please help choose video card

georgetok

Hi,

I am ordering new Dell system.

Processor : Intel i-7 ( 2.93 GHz )

RAM 8 GB DDR3

I will be using TV as my Monitor.

I am also getting a TV Tuner Card with it.

I want to watch High Definition Movies too.

Which Video Card should I choose from following options ? OR will it make any difference if I choose the first one ?

It says ATI Raedeon HD5770. Does it mean High Definition video ? Should I choose that to Watch High Definition Content ?

1024MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT220 [Included in Price]
1024MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 240 [add Rs.3,143.55]
ATI® Radeon™ HD5770 1GB [add Rs.5,239.25]
1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 [add Rs.11,526.35]

Thank You

For my fellow TechSpot users unfamiliar with India's rupee currency, here are the conversions. ;D

FREE ..........1 GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 220
+ $69.42 .....1 GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 240
+ $115.72 ...1 GB ATI® Radeon™ HD5770
+ $254.59 ...1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460

Personally, I would stick with the GT 220 that is included in the price. Any of those cards will allow you to watch 720p, 1080p or higher definition videos, no problem. However, if you play a lot of new, graphic intensive games then I would recommend the 5770 as it is extremely cost effective.

On a side note, go for a huge hard drive or two if you intend to record shows with that TV tuner.

Thanks PYGMUS for that conversion.

I do not play any games so your suggestion sounds good.

One more question though. After posting I decides to go for a 46 inch LCD TV as 2nd monitor because I need lots of space for stock charts.

So I want to connect a TV as well as a monitor.

Would that make any difference ?

Thank You.

Gt 220

The GT 220 comes in 4 versions based on the combination of memory size - may be 512 MB or 1 GB - and memory type - may be DDR2 or DDR3.

If you have the top end with 1 GB of DDR3, you should be OK with the TV as monitor for video applications. That card is one of the ones recommended at its budget level for non-gaming applications see -

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/nongaming.html

The site also provides other information about upgrading video cards that might be helpful reading.

I would be concerned with any of the other combinations and would not be the least surprised if Dell selected the weakest option. Do they report which option it is?

What is the resolution of the 46" LCD TV? GT 220 list a maximum resolution of 2560x1600.

Further you should take a close look at the PSU size. Dell is notorious for putting in just enough to power the system sold, and with the TV tuner card adding to requirements you could start approaching the limit. It should not be a problem now, if they let you put those components in, but be aware that if you ever want to upgrade to a gaming speed video card you might have to also upgrade the PSU. What size does it have?

You're welcome and yes, you will be able to simultaneously display on two displays with any of those cards. I can't say for sure, but for the cables you'll probably need a DVI for the monitor and an HDMI for the TV. Don't feel obliged to purchase one of the extremely expensive Monster Cable brands since even the $9 HDMI cables on Amazon work just as well.

Concerning the TV's screen resolution, any model 1080p or higher should give you plenty of space. 1080p simply means a screen resolution of at least 1920 pixels by 1080 pixels. For example, see this image and click it to enlarge.

Enjoy and happy trading!

Back