TechSpot

Please help... DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors...

By Nero Gray
Jan 8, 2006
  1. Greetings,

Just a few days ago I put a new computer together and have been since bombarded with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors. I can't even boot from XP cd to do a fresh install or repair. BIOS itself is unstable and crashes even before I can make any changes and save and exit. I will post some info and hope to get some help, Ive tried everything I could think of.

I have tried all of these combinations to make sure that specific pieces of hardware are not causing it.

MB: ASUS A8N-VM CSM latest bios 0506
    CPU: Athlon 64 3800 rev e
    RAM: Tried all of these - Corsair XMS CMX512-3200P (single and dual stick), Elixir 512 PC 3200U, Corsair ValueSelect VS512MB400
    CD: tried all of these separately (latest firmware):
    Plextor Plexwriter Premium, Sony DRU510a, Pioneer 105 (??) old one, slot insert
    HDD: Maxtor 160GB 6Y160P0
    Power: Antec True 480w or Mad Dog SurePower 500w
    GFX: GeForce FX 6800GT 256
    GeForce FX 7800GT 256
    Audio: M-Audio Delta 66

I am now running barebones, with just the plexwriter and hdd going with one 512 stick of Corsair TwinX ram. Onboard graphics chipset 6150. Onboard audio disabled. I have no minidumps to post.

errors I was able to catch from BSOD and write down.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X00515CBF, 0X000000FF, 0X00000001, 0XF700FE4B)

STOP: 0X0000008E

STOP: 0X000000C2 (0X00000007, 0X00000CD4, 0X00000001, 0XE1006998)

Sometimes I get the atapi.sys message for crashing it.

I'm sure there were other errors come up on BSOD as well but I have not yet written them down. I will add more errors as I catch them. The funny thing is, I have XP pro installed right now from the old system and if I choose to not boot from cd and try to re-install windows, I can sometimes get in and it seems stable but I haven't tried running anything really intensive. I will be most grateful for any help. =)

Nero

P.S. Basically, I am ready to return the MB, CPU and RAM to the vendor as faulty and get it replaced, but I would like to know if it is indeed faulty or if there is something I can fix without wasting the shipping time.

New error: got this one when I managed to boot into XP. Tried to un-rar a file and got this:
    0X00000050 (0XB78D0F12, 0X00000000, 0X8057FA40, 0X00000000)

2. Vaerilis

Vaerilis TS Rookie Posts: 64

It is very likely that your RAM is faulty, or running at too tight latencies (doubtful).
    Try running a few passes of Memtest using one stick. If it gives errors, set the memory latencies to the loosest (probably 3-4-4-8) settings and try again. Getting errors at Memtest then would mean that the memory needs to be replaced.
    Insert new stick, repeat.

Other possible causes include: faulty motherboard, IRQ conflict (unlikely, but who knows), and some other fauty component.

3. Nero Gray

Nero Gray TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the help, I forgot to mention that I also tried a second HDD - Seagate 40GB ST340810A, but that didn't help either. As far as memory testing, I can try to test it but I don't think I'll be able to before WIndows crashes. I am doubtful however that it's the memory since I tried 3 different types of it and none of them worked. It all points to a faulty mobo at this point.

-Nero

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions for testing your ram/hard drive.

Memtest runs independently of Windows, so hopefully there won`t be a problem with testing your ram.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.