CPU: Intel Core i7 975 @ 3.33GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution
Graphic Card: Radeon XFX HD 4890
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Memory: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6GB (3x2)
O/S: Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit
GDU: ASUS VW225N
And loads of fans!

I have recently purchased this machine, one of my intentions is gaming. I had played Grand Theft Auto IV with little issue - worked fine, although the PC did hang when exiting.
I have just bought some more games (Assassins Creed, Batman:Arkham Asylum, Dragon Age Origins & Fallout 3), I installed them, and now I cant play any games, the moment I attempt to start them up the computer freezes to a black screen and I have to restart the machine. Even Grand Theft wont start now. Any idea what the problem could be? Hope someone can help as I spent a fair bit on the computer and for it to not play games is disappointing to say the least!

One thing that i should mention is the RAID controller that doesn't seem to be functioning properly. The drivers wont update (there is none currently installed). I think this is for installing extra S-ATA drives. Could this be connected? Otherwise I am clueless as to the problem.

What about graphics card drivers? If you haven't already, go to the ATI/AMD website and download and install the latest Windows 7 compatible driver. Be sure to uninstall the old graphics driver through Add and Remove Programs first.

As long as you don't have any drives connected to those extra controllers, it shouldn't affect anything. Have you gone to the Asus website for the most recent SATA/RAID drivers for that controller. I think you are referring to the Marvell controllers.

Yeah I have the latest drivers. I didn't uninstall the previous ones though. I would have thought on installing the recent one it would have automatically done that. Is that not the case? How would one go about getting rid of them now?

Did you do all of the windows 7 updates? It sometimes helps with incompatibility problems and other bugs.
Also in the device manager let windows 7 search for drivers online. I had a case in which the drivers i downloaded and installed didn't work but the ones windows 7 downloaded did.

I presume you mean Programs & Features. There seems to be no drivers within this list. The ATI catalyst is there tho.
Thanks for your link Relic. I have installed and run the ATI driver sweeper in safe mode, but when presented with a list of 20 or more dll's, exe's and others which of these do I clean? I have made mistakes in the past whereby dlls have been deleted resulting in full system wipe. Don't really want to have to take a chance like that!
I'm interested in following this path tho as it seems a possible solution.
Thanks.

Thanks Puiu. Idid what you said, windows did manage to update drivers. Sadly the same black screen when attempting to run games. Pah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back