Please help, important

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopherLom

Ok well here it goes, a year or two ago my friends built me a custom gaming pc. At first it was fine and then a whole bunch of things went wrong. So far I have replaced a CPU fan, the entire case, graphics card, hard drive, and motherboard. So now I'm having this problem. The smaller problem of the two is that I will press my power button and the fans will turn on and my power supply will light up but nothing happens. In order for it to work I need to go to the back of the computer where the power supply is and I switch the power supply off and on reallllly quick, it then turns on. But then I discovered last night that it randomly shuts off. It was so wierd, i was playing a game for about an hour and then all of a sudden it just totally turned off. So I started it back up the ghetto way and tried playing again. It turned off again. So i went to sleep and tried again this morning. I played a game for a little while and it just turned off on me again. Here's my concern. This case has 4 fans + the CPU fan. There is no way this is overheating. When i was switching cases i looked in my power supply and i realized that there is this white stuff in it, it kinda looks like gum. So, what could this be? Could it be my OS? I have a trial version of Windows 7. Or could it be my power supply?

Any help would be great, I hope this is the correct forum to be posting in.

Thanks, Chris

When you replaced the CPU fan, did you mess with the CPU heatsink, or remove it from the processor with out cleaning off the old thermal compound and applying new fresh thermal compound? The white stuff in the power supply is normal, don't worry about it.

Could you please post your system specs? What's the graphics card and the power supply that you are using ?

So you replaced everything except the power supply, memory and the optical drive(s)? Try replacing the power supply now

Power Supply - Rosewill RD 600N - 600W ATX2.2
Motherboard - Asus P5N-D
Graphics Card - NVDIA GeForce 8800GT 1GB
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 500gb
Processor - Core 2 Duo Processor , 2.40 GHz

Cant remember the ram but i know its 2GB ddr2 x 2 (4GB for you pro Mathematicians)

Do you think the power supply is the problem?

When i was switching cases i looked in my power supply and i realized that there is this white stuff in it, it kinda looks like gum.

White stuff on the PSU? That's strange. Thermal compound is usually found on the CPU / GPU. I too think that you should look into changing the PSU.

That white stuff could be glue supporting the larger capacitors, but replace that Rosewill supply and see if the computer stabilizes

Go ahead and try your friend's power supply... Wattage ratings don't mean very much. A good quality 350 Watt could be better than that Rosewill 600 Watt in actual use

I, too, believe it's the power supply. And as my geek friend Mr. Ritwik7 told me, it's the amperage on the 12V rail that matters more than your wattage. All the best. :)

Needing to flip the power supply switch on and off (or similarly unplugging it then plugging back in) is a pretty good sign the PSU is to blame. Would have responded sooner, but the first few times I saw this thread I ignored it because the title is so poor and nondescriptive.

Yes SNGX1275,
we need to point all new members to your thread on making a good post when they register...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back