TechSpot

Please help me install Half-Life 2?

By paulmusiol
May 2, 2008
  1. Hi everyone,

I was a huge fan of the first Half-Life game and have waited years to play its sequel, while my home PC languished in obsolescence (Somewhat like myself at the minute). When I attempted to install the game, though, Steam downloaded and attempted to update, but can't. The error which comes up is: "Steam.exe (main exception): unable to load library Steam.dll"

I've already tried: uninstalling the Steam that automatically downloaded the first time I put the disk in the drive and downloading the version from the Steam website; and downloading RegCure to diagnose and fix the problem. Neither could get me past the same error.

My OS is Vista Home Premium and I'm on a wireless connection, my PC is new so I don't think it's mere congestion, and I'm utterly confused. If anyone else has seen and overcome the same problem I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks,

PM

2. paulmusiol

paulmusiol TS Rookie Topic Starter

Fiddling with the firewall has achieved nothing. Help!

PM

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

If you haven't already, go to this Steam page and see if it helps: Click here.

4. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,379

Right, I have had this problem many of times.* I fix it by simply un-installing, deleting everything that has to do with steam, and re-installing.* Sometimes this can take up to 3-4 times, or more.* I never looked at that page though, so it may be worth looking at.

5. Acclamator

Acclamator TS Rookie Posts: 261

Mailpup's post handles valid information, also try hooking up to a Cable/DSL modem directly if possible.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.