Please help - my hjt log

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to fix my mother-in-law's computer. Whenever she runs IE she gets all kinds of pop ups trying to sell her antispyware. Her computer is also running very slow.

I've done the preliminary removal steps. Attached are the Hijackthis log file and the combofix file. I ran the AVG Antispyware as per instructions (I think) and I did not get any log file. I ran it twice and both times it came up with problems that I subsequently fixed. However, a log file was never generated. I had quarantine on and checked always create log file when scanned. Although, the last time I noticed that I had checked only create log file if a threat is found. As I said quite a few problems were found and fixed both times but no log files.

The PandaAntiroot scan produced nothing.

This is kind of a community computer (all of the older grandchildren have access to it). However, my mother-in-law wants to do some on line banking so I wanted to get it clean and keep it clean. She currently is using Windows firewall and AVG 7.5 virus protection. I have her running Spybot once a week. I also have her running AVG Anti-Spyware and Ad Aware 2007 once a month. Does this sound like a good security plan? I'm especially curious if Windoes firewall is good (Windows XP IE 7 SP 2)?

Thanks!!!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The system is very badly infected.

Since your mother-in-law wants to do some on line banking, I strongly advise you to format and reinstall. Even if we cleaned the system, there are no guarantees it would be safe for any such purposes.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks. I was kind of getting this feeling when I was finding so much stuff that needed to be removed. I guess you were able to make this decision with the logs that I uploaded to the forum?

Thanks again, Howard. Your removal instructions are tremendously helpful. I will be going home and checking out my computer now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back