TechSpot

Please help resolve strange problem related to Windows 7 and Vista dual boot

By reanor
Nov 13, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I was running Windows 7 and decided to make a clean install of my Vista on the other faster drive to dedicate it to games. I thought that it would automatically give me the Dual Boot option, but it looks like Vista replaces the boot record being unable to recognize that Windows 7 is already installed.

So the weird thing is I still can boot into Windows 7 if I put in BIOS the other drive as a bootable one. So basically every time I want to get into either Vista or Windws 7 I have to switch bootable drive. I don't think its a good way to get into OS and I am afraid may damage the drives because of constant swapping in BIOS.

Can you suggest anything. I can of course just get into windows 7, wipe the new drive and try to install Vista based on proper instructions. But maybe there is a way to make one of the Windows aware of the installation of the other on the other drive and create a boot file ?

Is there a way?

Thanks in advance.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Read up on Dual boots involving Windows 7 and Vista... you have to start with a plan... and a structure

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.