TechSpot

Please Help! Stop message: 0x00000050 and Stop message: 0x0000008E

By missliss44
Apr 7, 2010
  1. I've recently upgraded to a 1TB HDD in my custom built computer and had to reinstall all of the drivers. Most of the parts in my computer are approx. 2 years old and I used the drivers that came with the Asus M2N-E motherboard support CD and the EVGA video card support CD. Everything seemed to go fine until I started stressing the comp with high graphics video games.. I'm a World of Warcraft player ;) For no reason at all it seemed I started getting application errors during use of the game and then most of the time those errors would lead to blue screens. I don't have these problems during typical use of the computer, i.e. using a web browser, playing music, etc.

So, being the low income vide-ette that I am, I set out to try and find the cause of the problem in the endless vastness of google. Well thanks to the "guide to stop error messages" sticky on this thread, I found a page that I think let me know what my problem was. Before I found this site though I had read numerous pages about how to determine what the stop message codes were and how to read them but, of course, nothing that told me explicitly and I'm still not 100% sure and am in need of some advice.

So.. with the aumha.org/a/stop.htm website, I determined that the stop message 0x00000050 usually references defective memory or imcompatible software (i.e. device drivers, right?) and the stop message 0x0000008E usually references hardware compatibility and sometimes driver issues... if I'm understanding the above website correctly. Well I had been using these computer parts for months w/o fault before I reformatted onto the new HDD so I find it hard to believe it's a hardware compatibility issue.. this leads me to believe it's either a video card RAM issue, a main RAM issue or a device driver issue. I'm leaning towards the drivers being either corrupted or out of date and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if that's a safe assumption.

I'm setting out to update everything and it would also be much appreciated if someone can tell me if there's anything I'm missing (or shouldn't mess with) on this list...

1. nvidia nforce 570 ultra chipset drivers
    2. EVGA geforce 8800 GT 512 MB video card driver
    3. SoundMax audio driver
    4. AMD athlon 64 x2 processor driver
    5. I've also made sure I've downloaded all windows updates for win xp 2000 32-bit

I'll update with any changes once I've done this and whether or not the issues continue... if updating the drivers doesn't help, then I'm thinking I have to replace either the video card or the computer RAM.. any opinions on that assumption?

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

For clarification, what is XP 2000?

0x8E errors are almost always caused by hardware, are a strong indicator of corrupted memory, though sometimes they can be caused by drivers.

We need your minidump files.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

3. missliss44

missliss44 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Windows XP 2000 is the version of windows I'm running, sorry about that.

As for the minidump files, I thought you may need those, I only have 2 at the moment seeing as I only just reformatted last night and have only attempted to run the game that results in blue screens twice since then. I'm going to attempt to attach those, but I don't seem to be able to open them myself as ".dmp files", when I try I get the following message:

Windows cannot open this file:

File: ".dmp file name here"

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. etc.

Hopefully you will be able to read it because I certainly can't :(
    ~and ty for the speedy reply :p

Attached Files:

4. Route44

Your errors are 0x50 and 0x8E. The 0x50 simply cited the cause of your issue as Pool_Corruption which is too general; but the designition is pointing out that there is a driver issue.

The 0x8E was definitive as the cause being the Nvidia display driver nv4_disp.dll (we see this driver here as a cause quite often). it would explain why andwhen you get your BSODs.

I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Let us know the results.

* By the way, as per minidump information your OS is XP with service pack 3. The 2000 you note is the build version. If in the future you need tech support just give them XP Home or Pro and that it is with Service Pack 3.

5. missliss44

Ah, I see what you mean about the win 2000 XP... two different OS's :) I'm not 100% computer savvy, so thanks for that tip!

Now quickly before I follow your steps with the driver cleaner, I have two questions.

1. Wouldn't reformatting your HDD erase all prior driver files? I was having this issue before and after I reformatted and installed all new and updated drivers.

2. Second question, perhaps I'm downloading the wrong driver.. maybe you know.. I'm using an EVGA geforce 8800 GT 512 MB card... would the Nvidia drivers work the same as the EVGA drivers? They both have different websites.. both have a different version of the driver for the seemingly same card, one being older. I'll list the drivers below. Which should I use?

Nvidia - nvidia.com/object/winxp_197.13_whql.html

Version: 197.13 WHQL
    Release Date: 2010.03.25
    Operating System: Windows XP
    Language: English (U.S.)
    File Size: 78.2 MB

EVGA - evga.com/Support/Drivers/default.asp?switch=2

Driver Version : 196.21 - EVGA Recommended Download
    Release Date: 01/19/2010
    WHQL Certified : YES

6. Route44

Go with the Nvidia drivers. In fact, instead of the very latest download the one just previous. Follow the steps I have given in my previous post and take it from there. If you get BSODs please post the minidump files.

7. missliss44

Another problem has come up.. I thought F8 during boot up would start my comp in safe mode, but that doesn't seem to be the case :( It simply takes me to the Boot menu and asks me to choose a boot device first and lists removable, hard disk and CD-ROM.. so i choose hard disk naturally and it only boots up windows normally. What am I doing wrong?

8. Route44

F8 is correct. When it boots up immediately keep pressing the key like you are typing. This should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu"

9. missliss44

Alrighty so, I followed your instructions with one exception.. the Nvidia site didn't give me the option for a link to any previous drivers before the newest one, so I just went with the one I linked in my post before last... Do you know where I can find older Nvidia drivers? also the driver cleaner pro didn't seem to find anything to clean up. Tried running the game and again got two application errors saying something about referencing memory at .... location. the memory could not be "read".

Attached are the minidump files. The only thing that seems to have changed is when my computer blue screens, the blue screen stays up for about five seconds instead of just one or two >.<

Could it be possible that the video card RAM is faulty or corrupted? Again, these blue screens only seem to be happening when putting the video card under strain. :(

Thank you for your patience with helping me :eek:

Attached Files:

10. missliss44

I have had two more blue screens since the last post so adding those mini dumps as well. Things don't seem to be getting any better :( I'm going to try using a different video card tomorrow and see if my computer blue screens with that one, it's brand new so if I have the same issues I'm going to assume that it's either a different driver or the memory and I'll run a Memtest. If the problem stops then I'm going to assume I need a new video card >.< Please reply to my previous post still though, I'm curious as to what the minidumps say.

Attached Files:

11. Route44

Ah ha! I believe we have found the culprit. Three minidumps are 0x8E and one is 0x50. The 0x50 specifically cited memory corruption as your issue. The thing with corrupted memory is that it will throw out all knids of codes with all kinds of reasons for system failures when all along it has been bad RAM.

So, you'll need to run memtest on your RAM. This is free and completely safe.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes then check below about running it on individual sticks.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

12. missliss44

I kind of feared it being the RAM all along.. I'm going to run Memtest and see what happens. I have 3 sticks of 1GB each of corsair RAM, so do I run the Memtest on each one? I'll get back with the results :)

13. Route44

Don't fear RAM! :D It is one of the easiest things to replace. I wouldn't be suprised if it has a lifetime warrenty (depending on your manufacture).

Run all three sticks together and if you get errors then run the test on each stick individually.

14. missliss44

Ok so I ran a Memtest86 v3.4 on all 3 sticks of RAM last night for 7 passes each, which took about 3-4 hours per stick. Every stick came back clean, with no errors. Before I ran the Memtest though I decided to experiment and I chose a random stick to remove and ran my system off just 2 sticks. I successfully managed to run games for 3-4 hours straight with no blue screens and only one application error from the game... I thought maybe I had found the bad stick of RAM but Memtest produced no errors on that particular piece so that kind of confused me. I've decided to continue with my experiment and take out a different stick of RAM, putting the first one I took out, back in and then I'll switch the last piece out later and see how that goes.

Can you make any sense of this? I was sure I would find errors on at least one stick of RAM and since I didn't I don't know exactly what that means.. The only thing that changed when I removed one of the sticks of RAM is that one of the slots being used when my computer was blue screening is no longer being used... Is it possible that the motherboard RAM slot is just damaged and not able to read the RAM? :suspiciou

15. Route44

It seems your system works fine with 2 sticks but the three stick configuration is a problem. There are motherboards that do not like 3 stick configurations. What would be interesting is if you had four sticks of RAM installed to see if the same issues occur So it does appear to be a memory issue but not due to corruption but instead due to configuration.

XP and 2 gigs of RAM is all you really need. keep in mind XP cannot utilize more than 3.25 gigs of RAM because it is a 32-bit operating system. To utilize a full four gigs of RAM or more takes a 64-bit OS.

Do this: Keep running with two sticks for the next 48 hours and get back to us if you are having any issues or not.

16. missliss44

Well, I've been running my system for a couple days now since my last post on two sticks of RAM and haven't had one blue screen or application error as of yet. I think (and hope) it's safe to say the problem has been solved.. whatever it was, removing one stick fixed it :approve: I'm so glad I found this site! I know where I'll be going the next time I have a computer problem!

Thanks a ton for your replies, help and suggestions Route44! :grinthumb

17. Route44

Excellent to hear of the stability! I am glad it is working for you without issue and very glad I could be of help. :)

If you ever decide to build your own system and want to run a 64-bit OS please don't hesitate to go to the general Hardware forum and ask away. You'll get great advice from a number of people here.

Meanwhile, enjoy the stability!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.