Please help video problems - I think I broke it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_annie_

Hi all,

Need help desperately to fix this issue.

I bought a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600 Pro (512mb AGP) card from an eBay seller.

Came home, uninstalled my old Nvidia drivers, removed that card from the hardware profile in windows. Powered down my PC, took out the old card and put in the new Radeon with relative ease. It sits in properly, is in the right way round and from what I can tell, has no external power required.

Turned my PC back on, immediately saw this:

smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/rose-dewittb/?action=view&current=PICT0002.jpg

This happened straight away, when the PC is usually doing the bios check and all that - windows splash screen had not even come up.

So.. my question is, what could I have done wrong? I've never touched any hardware apart from putting in some new memory a while ago.

If it helps, my PC is a HP Pavillion t370.uk.

Any help or advice is gratefully received!

Thanks,
Annie

1. Reseat your video card to the AGP slot.
2. Check VGA connections, make sure they are secure and properly connected.
3. Test vid card on different monitor (if possible)

3. Return the card and ask for refund. :)

I've reseated it - no joy.
Connectors to monitor all OK.
I don't have a spare monitor to test this on :(

Finally.. I don't know if it works - see my post earlier with the picture - it doesn't look like it does, but I don't know if this is because its broken and this is a typical image of what a broken video card does, or if its just a setting I haven't set.

If that makes sense :)

Yeah this forum won't let me post URL's yet because I haven't got to 5 posts :(

If you copy and paste:
smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/rose-dewittb/?action=view&current=PICT0002.jpg

into your browser address you should see it? (obviously with the http bit in front!)

That Image you posted looks like the Graphics Card is damaged or faulty, will see what other peoples opinions are.
But do as tuant said earlier get a refund, they have basically conned you they most likely knew it was defective. And you know in future although Ebay may save you money it is best to buy any electronics at a proper Electronics Store.

Well, there's no way for you to change any settings if you can't see your desktop. In any event, I believe the card is defective and you should return the card immediately.

Thanks guys.. you're right. I got this on eBay because I am quite strapped for cash at the moment and it was advertised as 'new and boxed'.

It was neither new nor boxed when I got it :(

Ok Good Luck with the Refund :)

Just out of interest I looked on Newegg (US) and LambdaTek (UK) both Electronic Websites. They don't sell the card you have but sell the model above X1650 and they sell it for $60 and £34 respectively. But you could compare what you actually paid to what I listed above.

I did some reading and one poster says it DOES have a power dongle requirement.

The Saphire site is useless - all chest beating and no useful info about power supply needs or actual operating voltages. Dummies!

I know! It was driving me nuts. One thing I've since found out is that my power supply is only 250W in my machine. THe recommended minimum for this card is 350W. Would this cause the problem do you think?

Also, I think this card is supposed to come with an extra cable? I don't know the term but I think its an extra power supply you need to connect from the card to the power supply on the PC. Anyway, it didn't.

Please excuse total noobness.. I really don't know squat about hardware (but I'm learning!). I am going to check out that UK site mentioned above so that I can make sure I don't make the same mistake again. It's just hard knowing which is the right video card for your machine. I mean, I wouldn't have even though that power supply could be a contributing factor!

If you have any advice on which card is going to be better for my old PC (HP Pavillion t370.uk) I'd love to hear it. Basically I need the card to run Sims 2 and Sim Societies (this card was on the supported video cards list).

You guys are great.. cookies all round!

Yes -you should upgrade to a 450 anyway - get a decent one. Enermax or similar. Check the larger PC component online stores and READ the peoples review posts re performance, etc.

The dongle, if you did not get it, can probably be bought at a local shop. make a note of the card and call around.

gl

I had a look online to see if I could find a guide to replacing the power supply - there are quite a few around and it does not look like an easy task.

Do you think it is as easy to replace as say memory or a video card?

Well it's as simple as unplugging stuff, taking it out, putting a new one in, and plugging everything back in. :) Think of it as on of those little baby games where you put the shape in the correct hole. :) Thats how I think of it.

Thats what I thought I was doing with a video card - and look where that got me :)
I had to laugh at that. :) Don't give up though.

The AGP version appears to need the supplemental power connector. I checked Sapphire's website and from the pictures it seems you need a floppy drive power connector. If your PC has a floppy drive and that connector is being used already, your next power supply should have a second floppy connector OR you can buy an adapter. It's your choice.

I'm not going to give up - I'm stubborn like that :)

I'm just wondering if its worth jumping through the hoops of getting a new power source if the video card is dead. I mean, I could mess things up more if I mess up the power supply replacement and it could all be for nothing.

Just a coupla questions, if I may:

1. So its an ATX power supply I need? I live in the UK so newegg isn't good to me, however I think I got enough info from the product page to buy an equivelent one.
2. If my PC shipped with a 250W power supply, is it possible that it shipped that way for a reason? i.e if I increase the power supply, is it likely to blow stuff up? (although at this point, I might welcome that :))
3. Re: supplemental power supply to the video card - I can't see anywhere its supposed to plug in ON the card? And you mentioned the floppy drive connector - I don't use my floppy so could I potentially remove the power supply to it to use for the video card?

How do people learn this stuff?!

Annie

1. Yes it's a ATX you need.

2. Systems ship with a power supply that will run what is installed in it at the time, you will do no damage getting a higher wattage supply PC's are designed to be upgraded, the only damage would be if you connect it up to the motherboard wrongly so make note of how the current one is connected and connect the new one the same way.

3. The power supply for the card is usually on the top right hand side of the card, and yes you can use the power connector for the floppy if your not using it.

And end at last?

Right so I took the card into work today to get my favourite IT guy to check it out.

Anyway, he made me go buy a connector cable from Maplins as the card needs it, but it didn't come with it (as an earlier poster mentioned).

He plugs the card into this old rubbish box, with the cable and viola! it works. Takes the cable off and reboots, the card produces the error I mentioned in my first post.

So, just to close the thread - the problem was that the card required an £2 connector cable that didn't come with my "new" purchase.

*slinks off in embarassment*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back