TechSpot

Please help with minidump/BSOD crash

By Bluemouse
Jul 31, 2006
  1. Very odd BSOD crashes -> Please help

Hey,

I am running a Toshiba Satellite M30 Laptop with an Nvidia GeforceGo 5200 graphics card. Recently I had the fan replaced, and also installed a new ram stick (same frequency, etc) on the same day. However, upon a few hours after boot I got a BSOD error (IRQL).

About a week later, I got another BSOD error (pagefault) and then a few other random ones occurring randomly. It *Seems* that I only get these when watching videos sometimes, and I have already run memtest. It did not catch anything.

Does anyone know what to do? I am running out of ideas. I cannot just take out the ram, because it happens so randomly that I would have to wait maybe 1-2 weeks to be sure.

Here are most of my dmp files.

http://www.mysharefile.com/v/3683989/Mini073106_01.dmp.html
    http://www.mysharefile.com/v/442281/Mini072606_01.dmp.html
    http://www.mysharefile.com/v/6109388/Mini071706_01.dmp.html
    http://www.mysharefile.com/v/6269572/Mini071306_01.dmp.html

Thanks very much for the help.

Cheers :)

2. Bluemouse

Bluemouse TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 405

Anyone have a solution? Help would be much appreciated.

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

2 minidumps crash with hardware and have bugchecks of 50 and 8E.

1 crashes at win32k.sys. this is the windows Multi-User Win32 Driver. It has a bugcheck of 8E.

1 crashes at ntoskrnl.exe. This is the Windows boot up kernel file. It has a bugcheck of D1.

Given the random nature of your error codes and the fact this started after you had introduced new ram, I have to say it`s a ram problem. Take out the new ram and run your system and see if you still get crashes. I`ve seen plenty of cases where individual sticks of ram work fine on their own, but not with other sticks of ram. This is usually caused by either a ram incompatibility, or a faulty dimm slot.

Bear in mind that Memtest is not a perfect tool. Some faulty ram can pass memtest.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

4. Bluemouse

Yea, how can I tell? The crashes are so random that I wouldnt even know if it is working properly once I take it out. It could be a month before it crashes again for all I know.

Doesnt faulty ram usually crash right away and frequently? Would someone replacing my fan be a possible cause? How could I check if it is the slot without "trial and error"?

Thanks for the help :)

5. Bluemouse

Ive also noticed recently that my mouse randomly dies every half an hour or so (until I reconnect it). Its a usb optical..

These are most likely unrelated, but maybe they are? who knows lol

6. howard_hopkinso

No, faulty ram wouldn`t necessarily cause your system to crash straight away.

Exactly you can`t. Like I said, remove the new ram and see if you still get crashes. I know it`s going to take a while, but there really isn`t anything else you can do.

Regards Howard :)

7. Bluemouse

Hm, it seems that the 1gb ram is working by itself, but not with the other one. Maybe its a faulty slot?

Or could I have a problem since they are two different manufacturers?

8. howard_hopkinso

Two different brands of ram may well be incompatible with each other. This is quite a common occurrence.

Regards Howard :)

9. Bluemouse

damn :p no way to fix it without buying a different brand i guess eh?

Thanks for all the help :)

Cheers

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.