"Please Insert Disk"... On a memory stick drive?

By Dhakos
Jan 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. When I plug my memory stick into the computer, a new drive appears as you would expect it to, but when I try and open this drive, it acts as if its a disk drive without a disk in, meaning I can't attempt a reformat of the memory stick or anything :S

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to make my memory stick usable?
  2. Mizzou

Mizzou TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 930

Try starting disk management to see if the flash drive is visible and whether or not it is partitioned and formatted. If so, should look like Disk 3 in the attached snapshot ... if not you may need to partition although these drives normally come preformatted.

Attached Files:

3. Dhakos

Dhakos TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 109

The drive letter appears, but contains no media, still acting like a diskless disk drive :S I've attached a screenshot (Memory stick is I: ). How would I go about partitioning it?

Attached Files:

4. Mizzou

It looks like your system is not seeing the usb drive as a media device otherwise it would show up in disk management, at least as unallocated space. That may mean that the flash drive is no longer working, the only other possibilty would be that something is going on with the usb port. Need to know more specifics about your system to go much further, would help to know if any other usb devices (mouse) work in that port.
  5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,361   +167

6. Dhakos

The memory stick functions (incorrectly) like this on any computer I try unfortunately :(

Didnt notice there were two replies @Mizzou, the USB port is fine, the memory stick does this in any USB port or computer : /
  7. Mizzou

That doesn't sound too promising :(
  8. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,361   +167

I agree.

Also, granted it's a long shot given your circumstance, but i think still worth trying the DriveCleanUp tool. In any case, it's safe and easy to use and can be good to uninstall old/stale USB storage drivers once in awhile as well
  9. Dhakos

Ok thanks for all the info, I'll look into it :)
  10. MargusKaerma

MargusKaerma Newcomer, in training

Solution to USB flash drives" insert driver into x:"

i had two usb flash drives one was PQi cool drive and other manufacturer i din´t know.
    But i searched some kind of program from PQI official web page
    and i found "Dr. UFD" this tool fixed my PQI Cool flash drive and also the unknown usb flash drive. i think this sfot do the work for all flash drives, Worked for me.

you can download "Dr. UFD" from:
    w-ww.pqi.com.tw/product2.asp?cate1=188&proid=409
    i need to put "-" this between net address because i wasn´t able to post links

Good Luck
    Margus Kaerma, EST

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.