Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there. Last night my system froze & when I rebooted I got this message: "Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS" I went into BIOS and made sure defaults were loaded then booted again. At the Windows XP welcome screen I got an odd window with only a warning icon and the "yes" or "no" buttons... no text in the box. Trying both yes & no upon different boot cycles I am able to get to my desktop and access programs normally for a few minutes, however the computer still freezes regardless of clicking "yes" or "no".
  • Not overclocked
  • AMD 64fx +4000 socket 939 in an ECS KN1 Extreme mobo.
  • I pulled the CMOS battery and replaced it with a new one.
  • I pulled a RAM to see if that would work...nothing.
  • I tried setting the Halt option in BIOS to "No errors"... didn't work.
  • The default CPU freq in BIOS is now set to 200 and Vcor to Normal.

I am at a loss here and need help. Thank you in advance!

Any clue in the system logs if you have checked them? Also check if CPU may be overheating?

I remember there was a utility to check AMD CPU's stability but i forgot its name :/ and search has not turned out something of significance.

However, you can try AMD's official overdrive utility's Advanced stability tests to ensure that your CPU runs smoothly

After your computer froze, there might be some systems file that are corrupted. Try entering in Safe Mode and see if windows loads normally. Also booting windows using "last know good configuration" might help.
If nothing works try reinstalling windows (don't forget to backup the files you don't want to delete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back