Please select proper device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaelant

Basically, iv build up a computer, which went well. Wanted to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall OS and relised the cd drive wasnt power, connected it up and now i get an error message asking to select a proper boot device, when i unplug the cd drive it runs fine again through the hdd. I have both the Cd drive and Hard drive on the same IDE cable if that helps, and my motherboard is an Asus M4A78LT-M LE is you wants the bios.

First make sure you have set the jumpers on the two IDE devices correctly (master/slave or both cable select). Go into the BIOS or alternately the boot menu to set the CD drive as the first boot device, insert the OS disk into the optical drive and let it reboot to the CD drive.

I've tried setting the cd drive as the first boot, but it still goes to the same screen asking me to select a proper device. Im not 100% on the ide settings if you could run me through them

Look at the back of the IDE drives to find the jumper which is a small plastic/metal bridge. There will be a guide stamped on the back of the drive or possibly a sticker showing which pins are master, slave or cable select. Make sure one device is set a master and one device is set to slave. Typically, the device at the end of the IDE cable is set to master but it should work the other way around too. If you want, you can set both devices to cable select.

You can use your fingernails, a needle nose pliers or even tweezers when removing the jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back