Plugged out power from extra dvd drive for graphics card. black screen on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryc

Ok. I got a new 8800gts 320mb, and it requires 2 power cables to run, but i only have 1 available. so i thought i'd disconnect the lead for the extra dvd drive i have, and use that. so i just unplugged that cable, and (without inserting the new graphics card) attemped to start up the computer. it turned on, and the intel logo came up, but instead of the windows logo, the monitor went in and out of standby mode in the space of 3 seconds, and then i got a black screen with the monitor turned on, and the fans going.

so i plugged the cable back into the dvd drive, and it's working fine. what could be the problem. i dont want to try something stupid and break the new card :eek:

Thanks in advance

It might help to list your system specifications. It sounds like your power supply is insufficient but I'm flying blind.

Yes like mailpup says post your system specs. This could be a power supply unit problem.

Also Please post your system specs in your own profile. This will save you time.

Regards Jase

Win XP, 1gb ram, intel pentium 4cpu 3.00ghz, currently using a radeon 7000 until i could get a new card, and i dont know much about my power supply. but the thing that's confusing me, is that i unplugged the cable from the DVD drive, but i didn't plug it into anything else... so i dont see how that could be caused by insufficient power. like i said, i haven't installed the new card. the radeon 7000 is still connected. i just had 2 power cables left unplugged, and it wouldn't boot up. thanks for your help, and quick responce though.

Could you get the make and model of your psu. (power supply unit)

There should be a sticker on the side of it.

Regards Jase

It just says "fps group inc." the rest are just serial numbers. sorry, i know nothing about hardware :p.

You probably have to remove the IDE cable to the 2nd DVD too. Usually the 2nd 12V connector for the 8800 looks like this though:(the ATX 12V 4 Pin Molex (middle bottom)
atx-psu-pinouts.gif

And the DVD connector would look like the top right.

yeah, the card came with an adapter, thats converts 2 of the 4pin molex into one 6 pin connector. is it necessary for both cables to be plugged into the card for it to work? my problem isn't that the computer doesn't boot, because by just plugging the cable back into the dvd drive it's fixed, it's just that i dont have enough of these 4pin molex cables to fill the sockets on the card...

most cards come with an auxillary power connector, only one needs to be plugged into a psu connector.

Regards Jase

Yes. the black end goes into your graphics card and one of the white connectors go into a 4 pin connector frm the psu..

Regards Jase

listen, i'm sorry i caused so much hastle. it's just a blew my cousins graphics card before, because the fan wasn't connected properly, and i just didn't want a repeat

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the help. If anyone needs some help with zbrush, or photoshop, just ask :cool: lol.

well, i presume so, but i'm not going to bother installing the graphics card at this time, i was just putting it off in case i mess up and broke the card, but since i know that now, it's fine.

You've been a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back