Plugging in wireless router N to G router

By kesler
Jul 22, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I believe i need to kep my Action G router for Verizon Fios. I just bought a Blueray with that will download and play netfix movies and I want to know if I can plug in a wireless n router to the g router just for the streaming movies purpose?
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Sure. Just read the setup instructions carefully... and some N routers work a lot better than others
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,292   +282

so the path would be
    modem---g.router---n.router---n.devices ?

As long as the devices on the n.router do not need to access devices on the g.router
    Your not going to have N class thruput, as the g.router up stream will limit the data rate.
  4. kesler

kesler TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 141

So what sense does it make to do it?
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,292   +282

6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,580   +76

Streaming will only has fast as the G router can handle 10/100. Most N are 10/100/1000. So you want to use the second router the N as wireless access point for your B-Ray with netfix.. Those should have wired port you can connect with better results using a wired connection.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.