PnkBstrK driver error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sketchy Meister

Whether im trying to join an online game on Farcry 2 or CoD 5, i have been getting a communication error with PnkBstrK. I reinstalled the Punkbuster services, and it allowed me to play cod5 for a bit online, but now it wont. I Reinstalled Pb again, and ran a test on the services. It gets up to the Checking PnkBstrK status, then pauses. Heres a screen shot of if:

My antivirus and firewall are not blocking Punkbuster. I really have no idea as to what to do.

What anti-virus product are you using (you also need to indicate the version number. You should be able to open the product then click on Help->About and it will tell you)

Are you using Windows firewall? or do you use a 3rd party firewall product? If you have a 3rd party producut
- Indicate software provider and version number of firewall
- Then click Control Panel->Windows Firewall and make sure Windows Firewall is turned off and you don't actually have TWO firewalls running!

Im using Webroot Spysweeper and Antivirus, along with Zone Alarm Basic Firewall. They both allow PnkBstr (Spysweeper wont block it anyways), and even if i run the games without spysweeper and zone alarm running, i still get the error message. No, windows firewall is not running. I seem to be able to reinstall punkbuster, play games for a bit, then once i log off have to do it all over again.

I skimmed through the Punkbuster site so have an idea of what it is they're trying to do.

- The output log you posted would imply it's having a problem with PnkBstrK driver. This is installed/started on setup and then stopped. It's then normally only started again on game launch. Log would imply a problem maybe in starting it or maybe communicating with it after started
- Before you uninstall current setup, do steps 1- 4 in my instructions to see if that file exists or not. Probably yes BEFORE you uninstall. Probably not AFTER uninstall.

See file attached to this post for instructions on a couple things you need to tell me and some things to do (including checking/turning off real-time protection in Windows Defender)

Attachments

• x.pdf
    145.5 KB · Views: 43
1. Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
2. yes, im admin
3. hidden files shown
4. pnkbstrk is there
5. real time protection off

Think this one is solved...i just realized Defender is running, it shouldnt be :p haha guess i forgot to disable that when i reformatted. Now it works fine, thanks for having me check that!

LOL

So when you said
5. real time protection off
you meant you thought Defender was off? But not that had followed my instruction to uncheck the real-time protection option itself that simply turns protection off (whether Defender runs or not?!) :confused:

No, i just turned it all off. I dont need defender. I use Spysweeper. But yeah, i guess call of duty 5 works now, and i get no errors when testing services with pbsvc, but farcry 2 still disconnects me for pnkbstrb failure

Edit: Uninstall Punkbuster. Restarted computer. Installed punkbuster, ran tests, all successful. IMMEDIATELY went to join a multiplayer match in farcry and got kicked for pnkbstrb failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back