TechSpot

PNY 8400GS Power requirements

By usafrmajor
Oct 14, 2008
  1. I purchased an PNY GeForce 8400 GS graphics card and it says I need at least 300 watts of power. My computer only has 230. Can I still use it safely without upgrading my power supply?

thanks

Alan

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

I wouldn't

It may put too much stress on the Card trying to draw the power (that isn't there!)

Update the PSU to around 500Watt area

3. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106

I have 90watts and the card loaded up and worked just fine, but playing games on it was horrible, because my computer couldn't handle it. You have 230, i would say go for it. Just make sure you have a huge tower, the card is not made for small towers, its a big card.

You have the PCI version right?

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Maybe so. But I was going by this:

But what do those Video card Manufacture's know, oh yeah everyhing. :rolleyes:

5. Tha General

If his computer is powerful and he has 230watts, the card should run alright on this computer. When i was using the 2400HD PCI , it requires 270 and it works just fine on my computer, play games perfectly( for those that worked anyway ) and also , the temps on the card stayed at 35-45c most of the time.

6. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

General, u said it u're self it will not do anything other than surf the net with too little power. he needs a better PSU if he is going to use that card.

7. Tha General

I never said that, someone bought the 8400GS , he post over at guru3d and he can play Bioshock and hellgate at pretty good settings. The 8400GS is a good card, you just need a good computer to use it. 230watts should be enough.

I think the OP should test it out. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.