PNY 9800GT temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha General

I just bought a new card, a 9800gt green edition 30% cooler , etc, i notice when idle the temps are at 60%, is this normal?
should i change drivers?
using the 191.07 right now

well the idle temp is high, but if its only hitting 63c while gaming that's a great temp. I don't think the sensor is picking up the idle temp accurately, or your fan speed at idle is way to low. put the fan control on manual and set it at 80% and see what it does to your idle temps just to give you an idea of whats going on.

I can't change the temps fan, and i really don't want too(by installing programs). Thanks tho, doesn't seem to go above 63 even when gaming.
cheers :)

It's funny. I have the XFX 9800GT. Though I idle at lower temps, under load I'm anywhere between 10-20c more than Tha General.

It's funny. I have the XFX 9800GT. Though I idle at lower temps, under load I'm anywhere between 10-20c more than Tha General.

Tha General has the 'green edition' of the 9800GT, uses less power....also less performance :)

That's why I was surprised over its idle temp.

Yea i am suprised too, but when gaming he only creeps up about 2%, so maybe thats where the green comes into play who knows lol
here are my specs:

cfq.png

whats yours?

You can always mess around with your fan speed at the Nvidia control panel. No need to download anything, you can even overclock it there too.You also try to get better airflow in your case. Here's my 9600gt.

9600gtspecs.png

I have an EVGA 9800GT and had to crank the fan up to 90% b/c the stupid thing was only putting the fan up to 40% even when it was under load and the temp was pushing 85c. Just increasing the fan speed kept it down to about 65c under load. Now have it in a new case, with better cooling and the card will rarely top 55c.

Well i don't OC, and i am happy with stock settings on anything. But doesn't increasing your fan speed damage the card? i read about that somewhere.
Also, BlindObject, there are no options in nvidia control panel to increase the fan speed, i don't see any.

increasing the fan speed does not damage your card...it makes things a bit louder is all.

Well i don't OC, and i am happy with stock settings on anything. But doesn't increasing your fan speed damage the card? i read about that somewhere.
Also, BlindObject, there are no options in nvidia control panel to increase the fan speed, i don't see any.
No it doesn't hurt your card, it is a fan, it helps your card. I don't think the NVidia control panel can.

Manufacturers turn down the fan speed to help it last longer. Cranking it up full speed makes a big difference in keeping the card cool but puts more wear and tear on the fan in the big picture.

Manufacturers turn down the fan speed to help it last longer. Cranking it up full speed makes a big difference in keeping the card cool but puts more wear and tear on the fan in the big picture.

actually tek, the bigger reason they do it is to keep fan noise down. the average life span of the VC fans these days is 60k - 150k hours. keeping the chip cool outweighs preserving the fan. the damage from heat on the chip will destroy it before you wear out the fan. unless you plan to be using the same graphics card in 6-10 years, better to crank up the fan and keep it cool. :)

Interesting, going back to some older drivers ( the ones that came with the disc ) 181.20, temps are about 3% cooler. But the real interesting thing, when playing say crysis warhead at all gamer settings, getting about 31-60 fps btw, at 1280x1024 the card fan increases to around 60 or 78% and temps drop to 55c when gaming.

Seems like the FPS average changes with every update. 195 drivers are sooo clumsy and unstable. Left 4 dead dropped my frames by 10-15 and gave me artifacts on my OC settings. I set them back to stock and got even lower frames. I stuck with the 191 and everything was nice again, and my overclocks worked again.

I plan to always use the drivers from the disc that came with the card , they seem to be the best IMO. Older drivers which people think will decrease performance does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back