PocketBook's 7.8-inch color e-reader is now available to buy

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: E-reader company PocketBook has released the InkPad Color in the US and Europe, a 7.8-inch device that features the latest Kaleido panel capable of displaying up to 4,096 colors.

PocketBook says the second generation of Kaleido uses a different color filter pattern that offers better contrast and color saturation than its predecessor. The 1404 x 1872 front-lit display boasts 300 DPI for monochrome content and 100 DPI when showing colors, and the screen refresh rate has been improved. The company told The Verge that this is the first device with a new Kaleido panel to be available in the US and Europe.

Powering the InkPad Color is a 1GHz dual-core processor paired with 1GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. There’s also an SD card for adding up to an extra 32GB of storage, handy if you’ve an extensive e-library. Buyers also get a G-sensor, cover sensors for sleep covers, Wi-Fi 4, Bluetooth 5.1, a USB-C port, a 3.5mm jack, and a 2,900 mAh battery.

Weighing in at 225g and measuring 8mm thick, the InkPad Color is undoubtedly more portable than, say, an iPad, though its functions are a lot more limited, obviously.

If you’re a heavy reader and love comics, magazines, or anything else where a color display would be an advantage over monochrome, the InkPad Color looks like a compelling buy. You can grab it from Amazon for $329. For comparison, the new Kindle Oasis, which lacks a color screen, is $269.

Permalink to story.

There have been so few pads (as compared to computers, laptops, phones) that a new one is a welcome addition. I'm still using my Samsung Tab A from several years ago and while it is a bit slower, it still does the job. It's been through three protective screens and four protective cases. Dropped a few times and had to buy new stylus or three but it chugs along. Hope this new one has at least the same durability!

There have been so few pads (as compared to computers, laptops, phones) that a new one is a welcome addition. I'm still using my Samsung Tab A from several years ago and while it is a bit slower, it still does the job. It's been through three protective screens and four protective cases. Dropped a few times and had to buy new stylus or three but it chugs along. Hope this new one has at least the same durability!

Seriously I didn't know E-reader were still a thing, I've barely seen anything coming out of this market in a few years.

Seriously I didn't know E-reader were still a thing, I've barely seen anything coming out of this market in a few years.
Because everyone is busy chasing after Apple's coattails instead of innovating in other directions. The utter state of current year tech

This is a welcome addition to the e-book market, also at a very acceptable price. However a dual-core CPU and 1GB RAM in 2021 is way too little for any device. I have a monochrome Android e-reader with quad-core processor and 2GB RAM and it is still insufficiently snappy, so is the display refresh rate. Even if Android is generally badly optimised, either OS will be handicapped by default with this hardware. No dedicated speakers too.

Just thinking but, if I was to choose today between my monochrome apps-featured quad-core e-reader with stereo speakers and this one, I'd still probably go monochrome. E-ink displays have ages to go before they even approach the very basic LCD screens from almost decades ago. Colour or not, it will be static only which means reading and nothing else.

This is a welcome addition to the e-book market, also at a very acceptable price. However a dual-core CPU and 1GB RAM in 2021 is way too little for any device. I have a monochrome Android e-reader with quad-core processor and 2GB RAM and it is still insufficiently snappy, so is the display refresh rate. Even if Android is generally badly optimised, either OS will be handicapped by default with this hardware. No dedicated speakers too.

Just thinking but, if I was to choose today between my monochrome apps-featured quad-core e-reader with stereo speakers and this one, I'd still probably go monochrome. E-ink displays have ages to go before they even approach the very basic LCD screens from almost decades ago. Colour or not, it will be static only which means reading and nothing else.

I agree way under powered, should be a quad core minimum doesn't have to be high clocks even 4 cores at 1.5Ghz would be fine and 4GB of ram.

I would love to read my Computer Gaming World PDF issues from the 90's and late 80's and Japanese manga (translated) on a color e-reader, but yes, this is way underpowered.

Back