Polaris introduces its first all-electric UTV, the Ranger XP Kinetic

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Polaris has introduced its first all-electric utility side-by-side, the Ranger XP Kinetic. It may not sound all that appealing at first, but there are plenty of advantages that an electric UTV affords over gas-powered counterparts.

The Ranger XP Kinetic features a new electric powertrain born from a partnership between Polaris and Zero Motorcycles that generates 110 horsepower and 140lb-ft of instant torque. It's capable of towing up to 2,500 pounds and can haul an industry-leading 1,250 pounds. In addition to high and low gears, it offers three additional driving modes – Eco+, Standard and Sport – to better cater to the task at hand.

Polaris presents several scenarios that might help convince on-the-fence buyers to spring for an electric UTV.

For example, the drivetrain features fewer moving parts for lower maintenance costs. What’s more, an electric powertrain is much quieter than a gas-based model, making for easier conversation during operation. Moreover, it could enable a user to get to work earlier in the morning without fear of waking neighbors, or even provide quieter operation around hunting grounds.

The Ranger XP Kinetic is offered as a three-seat model in premium and ultimate trims. The premium package includes a 14.9 kWh lithium-ion battery with an estimated range of up to 45 miles, while the ultimate steps it up to a 29.8 kWh battery that can run for up to 80 miles. Buyers also get a 7-inch infotainment screen with the premium trim alongside dash-mounted speakers.

Pricing starts at $24,999 for the Ranger XP Kinetic premium and scales up to $29,999 for the ultimate trim. Models are available to reserve from today, with the first shipments expected in summer 2022.

Permalink to story.

Sounds pretty good, except for the price which I'd say is about 40% too high .....

Polaris has really backed off purchasing material for manufacturing their machines from the company I work at.....

I'm surprised to see them mentioned in a story here. I suppose it's good to see them creating something. I thought they hit bad times or were really hurting from supply chain issues, but maybe they were just shifting gears?

Last edited:
I never understood how expensive side by sides are. You can literally buy a new Toyota Tacoma for the same money and it will do so much more.

Back