Police raid targets 9-year-old pirate, Winnie the Pooh laptop seized

Jos

Staff

The fight against online piracy reached new levels of absurdity after the Copyright Information And Anti-Piracy Centre (CIAPC) in Finland cracked down on a 9-year-old suspected pirate and had the police seize her Winnie the Pooh laptop. Her crime was to download a song from Finnish pop star Chisu, and her father’s to refuse signing a non-disclosure agreement and pay €600 to settle the charges without prosecution.

TorrentFreak reports that the CIAPC had first contacted the Internet account holder during the spring, informing him that his account had been traced back to an incidence of online file-sharing, and asking for compensation in order to let the case go.

He decided to ignore the letter and this week things escalated as promised, with the police arriving at his doorstep and raiding his house looking for evidence -- his daughter’s notebook.

According to the father’s account, the girl tried to download a number of songs, and a Google search led her to The Pirate Bay. Supposedly the resulting downloads didn’t work so the following day they went to a store to buy music -- whether or not this last bit is true is beyond the point, however. In parting, the police had some advice for the father: “It would have been easier for all concerned if you had paid the compensation.”

“I got the feeling that there had been people from the MAFIA demanding money at the door,” the girl’s father recounted. "We have not done anything wrong. If adults do not always know how to use a computer and the web, how can you assume that children or the elderly knows what they are doing at any given time online? […] It is sad to see how even the big artists have no idea what CIAPC is doing in their name.”

Indeed upon hearing about the situation Chisu apologized to the 9-year-old and pointed to a link on Spotify where her music can be played for free. Electronic Frontier Finland also took note of the case and said it is an indication of just how far copyright enforcement has progressed in Finland.

Pirate girl image via Shutterstock -- not actual suspect.

Permalink to story.

Seem like it was just yesterday:

[FONT=lucida grande]Do what you want, ‘cause a pirate is free,[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande]YOU ARE A PIRATE![/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande]Yar har, fiddle di dee,[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande]Being a pirate is alright to be,[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande]Do what you want ‘cause a pirate is free,[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida grande]You are a pirate![/FONT]

Brain washing our kids to pirate. ARRRRR.

This is insane. The father teaching the 9 year old daughter how to torrent. And points the child to the pirate bay, later on plays the stupid card. How can you claim that your 9 year old knows more then you about a computer. That is unbelievable news. I understand your not an elite hacker of military sites but everyone hear of torrents. I have no friends that don't know about torrents or the consequences of an unencrypted connection. Least thing you can do is spoof your mac and ip to be untraceable. Or just do it from the library with a laptop you buy on crags list for cash. You would be untraceable. Also do you use your real name on any of the accounts you use on the laptop. Don't even check your email. Users are caught through their habitual use at times.

Poor 9 year old girl, that's horrible experience to have. What if it was just an accident, the internet is a confusing place. A lil girl doesn't know going to a site and downloading something is illegal. This is a disgrace to the finland police.

She has to be in the jail... she is very dangeruos !!! ...
ahahahahahahaah (laughter from The Shadow) ... ;)

I wonder, what kind of ads does a 9 year old girl see on pirate bay?

I hope it's not Russian women.

This is a bit absurd but we have no one to blame but ourselves. We brought this on ourselves as the Internet using public. They asked ppl to stop pirating. Ppl didn't stop now we have a 9yr old getting arrested. Also I kinda blame Google and TPB. Google put TPB on the top 3 searches. TPB made it available. That poor little girl now has some serious emotional issues. I feel so bad for what she has to deal with

Lmao wow some serious criminals in finland man.

They are lucky to have such a hard working police force....

I wonder, what kind of ads does a 9 year old girl see on pirate bay?

I hope it's not Russian women.
Oh, there are way better and more prolific sources for Slavic beauty than TPB!;)

So happy that the cops are going after small time crooks instead of murders and rapists.
Well, it is after all, easier to ticket a stopped car in public, than to catch an already gone rapist or killer..

Shocking... this kid should go to jail to make an example for other kids
Either that, or enroll her in parochial school...:eek: .

This is insane. The father teaching the 9 year old daughter how to torrent. And points the child to the pirate bay, later on plays the stupid card. How can you claim that your 9 year old knows more then you about a computer.
In my neighborhood dad is long gone, and and another adult is having children as young as this girl deal hard drugs, due to the fact a child can't be given hard time.

I'm not justifying dad's actions, just pointing out the parallel behaviours. Albeit amplified as they are by the ghetto.

Where's the due process? The fairness? Just an accusation from higher powers and then extortion for "settling the case"? What if you really are innocent?

Poor 9 year old girl, that's horrible experience to have. What if it was just an accident, the internet is a confusing place. A lil girl doesn't know going to a site and downloading something is illegal. This is a disgrace to the finland police.

It happens. Friends of mine have done the same thing. Done a search for a (legitimate) free FS2004 aircraft download and I go there and a (bad) torrent file is sitting on the desktop. They know nothing about torrents or what they downloaded.

Welcome to the New World Order.

Disagree with something that the government has agreed to and you have no rights, no choice, no freedom and no future.

When I saw this story as I scrolled down my home page I thought it was from The Onion at first. Wow.

Back