TechSpot

[Poll] How often do you replace your computer's case?

?

How often do you replace your computer's case

1. Every year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Every 1-2 years

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Every 2-3 years

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Every 3-4 years

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Every 4-5 years

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. 5+ years

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Never

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. Only when it has completely fallen apart

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
By Win7Dev
Feb 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have been thinking about this for awhile. When everyone around here builds or upgrades their desktop, do you ever get a new case?

2. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 841

I've bought seven cases in the last seven years. Only two were specifically mine. The others were for family. So that's 3-4 years.

3. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,168   +37

Only when I am doing a new build for myself is how I answered.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,657   +323

I don't think I've ever taken an existing system of mine and put it in a new case. Typically when I build a new system I get a new case, and by the time I decide to buy a new system I usually end up just getting all new components. Then I relegate the old PC as a secondary or tertiary? machine. I pretty much keep all my old PCs until something major catastrophically dies (PSU, mobo, CPU) or I sell it off cheap to my parents.

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,984   +957

I did, once at least. I have a Core i3 system that was in a Cooler Master "Elite 335" ($35.00 cheapie). The Elite is decent looking but boring. So, last Black Friday when Microcenter had the CM "Storm Scout" on sale for $59.95, I grabbed one and stuffed the machine into that. The "Scout" is much "fiercer" looking. (At least that's what the box said) I'm much happier with the Scout's looks, maybe it's a mid life crisis. I'm certain that the computer is much faster in the new case. I think the red fans are what did the trick.

6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,909   +91

yes, and add some red CCFL's in there....then you'll see performance.

7. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 841

My cases go through many motherboards and different setups. I should delete my system specs because it's not up to date. I haven't done much lately. Other hobbies had taken over.

Now I have a nice aluminum full tower that I really like. I don't see anything available I like more. This one my last five years.

I just ordered a new case for my oldest son. He wants a more gamer looking case than my old one that he has. He needs better cooling for the 4870 crossfire setup anyway. Getting another used 4870 was a lot cheaper than a new singe card.

8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,357   +283

I only buy new cases on new builds.

9. nazartp

nazartp TS Enthusiast Posts: 205   +10

I typically go with a 2-year upgrade cycle for my computers. On the first year usually upgrade something minor (video card, hard drive, etc.) On the second year the system is, typically, up for a major overhaul with the old parts being sent to my parents. With respect to cases, I do not really follow any specific path - as long as I can fit my components inside with adequate ventilation the case stays in rotation. I recently went, however, through a couple of cases. Had some cheapie from earlier for ages, upgraded to Antec 900. That one did not survive for long though - I needed two video cards and a couple of RAID arrays. Bought Thermaltalke HAF X. That one will survive for several years.

10. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

Just keep reusing the two cases I already have, don't see buying another anytime soon.

11. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 974   +99

Depends if it is really needed or if my new components won't be able to fit inside the box. I had my case for 5 years now and haven't bought a case so far... My dads bro gave one to me :3 So need for one YET :D

I made a hole for extra fan on the side ^^ Real G ^^

PS:

Will be buying a new case within next 2 years though :3

12. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

I voted 1-2 years, but its a tough call, mainly because I grow really attached to my cases, and it takes a lot to persuade me to change them. Usually something better comes along and grabs my attention, and I "have" to have it, and then I change.

That said, my current Antec P182 is hideous, and I seriously regret letting my NZXT Beta go, even if it was too small to fit the replacement DDR3 motherboard.

I've just replaced my car though, so guess the Raven case will have to wait a few weeks. :(

13. Krystianb

Krystianb TS Rookie Posts: 30

How do i know that my Pc will fit in the case?/ Just the front Part.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.