TechSpot

Poor Vodafone USB modem signal

By Tommygunn
Apr 23, 2009
  1. Last weekend I had to resort to getting a Vodafone USB Sim card modem for my desktop because Italia Telecom are too damn lazy to install a landline to my house.

Anyway, I am getting very poor reception and download/upload speeds and was wondering if there was a way of improving matters.

I have put the Sim card in my cell phone to find the best spot and that is by the window in an upstairs bedroom, which is totally impractical. At the moment I have had to wheel the computer to the opposite side of the living room to get at least some reception.

Is there some sort of box or antenna I can mount outside on the roof or some sort of Heath Robinson contraption I can build to improve preformance?

One other problem is that the USB cable that came with it is only about 50cm but when I plug it into my 1.75m cable it does not work even though the cable is fine. So not very flexible.

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AlessBauer

AlessBauer TS Rookie

There can be something disturbs a signal? This can check. You can try to make the external aerial from a copper wire. I was helped by five metre wire, 1.5 radius

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 68

How do I attach a copper wire to this:
    [​IMG]

4. AlessBauer

AlessBauer TS Rookie

To begin with, it is necessary to open case to find the aerial
    if you can.
    ps: Tell me modem mark

5. Tommygunn

What is the 'modem mark'?

6. AlessBauer

AlessBauer TS Rookie

I wish to tell "model" as, MD950, E272, "GSM/GPRS/EDGE modem Vodafone MD950".

7. Tommygunn

Its a Huawei K3715 HSPA USB Stick.

8. AlessBauer

AlessBauer TS Rookie

I think you need to add aerial or change modem model. out of home, on street a signal bad?

9. Tommygunn

10. AlessBauer

AlessBauer TS Rookie

11. Tommygunn

I've not done anything yet.

12. AlessBauer

AlessBauer TS Rookie

and what now?

13. Tommygunn

I've been too busy of late to try and do anything. Later on maybe.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.