Pop-up Blocker for Firefox 3.01

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw0rld

Is there an Alternate Pop-up blocker for Firefox? The built in pop-up blocker keeps allowing pop-ups through. I must admit it is not as good as the one in IE7. I have searched Firefox's addon site and found none.

Also I'd rather not use noscript. I have it installed but, it requires too much attention. So I use it sparingly. Any help wil be appreciated.

Oddly enough my installation of FF2.0019 squelches everything, and I have to OK even picture files. I admit to having "No-script" installed, but here again oddly, I don't consider it too much effort, considering the safety improvement it offers.

To the best of my recollection, you're a strong proponent of IE anyway, so perhaps your interests might be better served with that browser.

More to the point, it almost seems as though you've found a new entry into the FF vs IE debate that you seem to cherish.

More to the point, it almost seems as though you've found a new entry into the FF vs IE debate that you seem to cherish.

Will you just let this go? I am only looking for an alternative pop-up blocker. I am not saying that everything gets through. Just that every now and again there is one sitting on my desktop.

I use Firefox. I have no problems with it, except the ones mentioned above.
I will not indulge in another debate with you about FF VS IE. If you proceed to post comments regarding this, they will be ignored.

OK, Great....

If FF is giving you problems with pop-ups, AND IE is loading slow perhaps you should consider the possibility of a malware culprit somewhere in your system.

This isn't a pro or con debate, I use FF2.0019 with No-Script and I have NO pop-ups. That's a simple statement of fact. The only hint of empiricism I'm employing here is that FF3 should be better, or safer if you will, as it was designed to be better and safer. I'm all for using each one of us using our browser of choice.

Personally I can't recall ever starting a thread such as "IE vs. Firefox", but other people do. De vez en quando, Yo lo disfruto mucho a participar.

Retraction......

>>>> I mistook you for the originator of the other thread, "IE very slow to open pages", a fact for which I sincerely apologize.<<<<

If you're so thin skinned that you feel obligated to be offended by "M$", which is pretty much the web wide standard for referring to the Microsoft Corporation, perhaps you may be too thin skinned for forums in general.

As far as any of the rest of this goes, it seems like you've tried FF just to find fault with it. Your past efforts in promoting IE7 would seem to bear this out. But, as per your recent observation, I'll try not to over think your motives for posting as you do.

I have no pop ups whatsoever with FF. With No Script installed, there are no unwanted pop-ups, no vibrance ads, and no third party cookies installed whatsoever. So. if you're looking for a third party pop-up blocker, No Script would be it. But, as you pointed out, it's just too much trouble for you to use.

Ad-Muncher not free but works, but the ABP (ad blocker plus for FF) works great!

Mr twOrld would rather complain about Firefox to justify his admiration for IE. I sincerely doubt that there's any paid program on the agenda.

Besides, how do you even get FF to give you pop-ups with No-Script installed?

I don't use the No-Scripts plug-in I just use the Ad blocker plus and the frame element and flash block plug-in.That's the way it done on a lot of my systems here. Now on my tester and wireless monitor I use IE6+Acoo Browser shell for IE with ad muncher and sandboxie without firewall, anti-virus or spyware running on it. I use superantispyware free to check on the system. Otherthan that it's faster to use the sandbox on a laptop. Firefox will also work on a sandbox too. Still need ad removal because of the ads will still show up.

Going back to the ad muncher you can block a lot of stuff use it as hide your surfing by changing your IP address using the bouncing method. Still the real use is to block ads, images stuff you don't want to see. Makes surfing quicker. To have embedded inside FF31 is also good. Still eveyone not going to like FF over IE. I can tell you one thing using IE with Acoo Browser shell is just as good it has it's own ad blocker, popup blocker stuff and there are tabs that work the way I like. But I won't use it on my main systems just yet though.

Mr twOrld would rather complain about Firefox to justify his admiration for IE. I sincerely doubt that there's any paid program on the agenda.

Besides, how do you even get FF to give you pop-ups with No-Script installed?

No-script is disabled, as I have hinted to. Disabling add-ons is another function that firefox provides.

Be careful of all these add-ons they can screw the browser, causing you do uninstall the browser then re-install it to fix the issue.

I don't use the No-Scripts plug-in I just use the Ad blocker plus and the frame element and flash block plug-in.That's the way it done on a lot of my systems here. Now on my tester and wireless monitor I use IE6+Acoo Browser shell for IE with ad muncher and sandboxie without firewall, anti-virus or spyware running on it. I use superantispyware free to check on the system. Otherthan that it's faster to use the sandbox on a laptop. Firefox will also work on a sandbox too. Still need ad removal because of the ads will still show up.

Going back to the ad muncher you can block a lot of stuff use it as hide your surfing by changing your IP address using the bouncing method. Still the real use is to block ads, images stuff you don't want to see. Makes surfing quicker. To have embedded inside FF31 is also good. Still eveyone not going to like FF over IE. I can tell you one thing using IE with Acoo Browser shell is just as good it has it's own ad blocker, popup blocker stuff and there are tabs that work the way I like. But I won't use it on my main systems just yet though.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have installed the plugins and they are working perfectly thus far.
Thank alot.

This is Just Curiousity Nothing More...

Without making any judgements pro or con for either browser.

I'm using FF with "No Script" enabled, and as I type this post, only "Techspot" has script permissions. So, that's only 1 out of >>9<< possible scripts.

I understand how and why a site has a needs to take on these different scripts. That said, by only allowing TS, the only function I don't have is "smilies". Ya gotta admit, that's not a "stop everything" kind of loss.

As a trade off, I have no Flash or no Vibrance ads, just peace and quiet.

It's quite understandable that websites might actually resent this add on. "No Script" is worked on and is updated by it's originator continuously, and has never caused conflicts for me. It makes redirects much safer, since the third party site is script blocked as a matter of course.

I concede that a bit of effort and intuition is necessary, but that holds true for other extensions as well. Ad Block is very well thought of, but in it's descriptions it seems more effort intensive than NS. It's quite possible than I didn't understand the explanations fully, who knows.

Blocking is not the problem with Noscript. Constantly granting permissions to trusted sites( sites that I trust) is what is tiresome.

This is what I mean;

This is Youtube with noscript enabled

Noscript.jpg

This is youtube with Flashblock enabled(Noscript disabled)

Noscript2.jpg

I find it more convenient to just click the button provide by flash block than, giving permission to the page, which will then have to be reloaded.

Noscript is somewhat comparable to proxomitron for windows I used it a while back b4 I sarted using Firefox.The difference between the two is that Proxomitron performs it asks through a proxy. http://www.proxomitron.info/

More info here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxomitron

I'm wondering if you might be misinterpreting a pop-up. Is it possible you're seeing ads you don't want to see?

This is my Firefox setup and it has been basically the same for over 3 years, updating with each new update and version:
I use the pop-up blocker in Firefox.
I have the Google Toolbar which has an excellent pop-up block, but that option isn't enabled.
I use AdBlock Plus and Easy List. These give me excellent control over what I do and don't see, and no pop-ups.

Trust Can Be a Lasting Thing.....

"No Script" has a "white listing" option. You simply don't have to grant permission to trusted sites every time. Just click "allow xxxxxx" instead of "temporarily allow xxxxx".

This works out well with sites you do business with. You might allow Newegg all the time, but only approve "akamai.net" when you're making a purchase.

I certainly don't have to approve Techspot every time I visit, it's script is white listed and permanantly approved.

Even if you set Firefox to remove all cookies when it's closed, (as I do)you script approvals survive the shutdown, but I have to log in with name and password everytime.

What No Script is good at, is cutting through all the crap like, "Google Analytics", which actually is monitoring your surfing habits. But here again, that approval can be permanant.

As to Utube, you do have to approve multiple scripts, so that the Flash movies are available. The 2 scripts needing an OK are; "utube" (obviously) and "ytimg"

I have no-script on wireless laptop and I am still able to get to the flash on Youtube using FF, adblocker plus, element for ad block. On this system here just Ad blocker plus, ad block element, spyware blaster for FF, Spyware Doctore with Anti-Virus and Threat Fire and Firewall Plus, and I don't get all these popups. I haven't seen anything no more. I use youtube to view and to upload content but I don't have an issue like you two or three or more are having.. I just use the subscribe feature for ads and that's about it.

Ads - there are static ads (gif, jpeg, png, bmp) active ads java script, flash swf, flv. These type of ads you'll need to use Flash Blocker,. Ad Blocker Plus should get rid of the rest. There are smart ads to deal with also. Ad Muncher scrubs off the Ads you can also tell it to scrub ads you still see like those smaller text ads.. Popup are different..

Pop-Up Blocker

While I don't want to jump into the middle of this this...I would like to share my two cents...

First off, while I don't LOVE Firefox...I do like many of its features...I moved to Firefox when I could no long realistically use the old generic "Mozilla" browser which I LOVED and used for many years...

And while I despise being forced by any website to use a browser that is not "my choice"...most often that browser being IE...I realize that a website or designer has the choice to decide which browser to design their browser for...

But I digress....

I have, for years, used a shareware pop-up blocker called "webwindowkiller"...but it appears that this program is not undergoing any upgrades, and it only works under IE...

The reason I love this program?...when you encounter a pop-up that you wish to block, you simple open the program (which sits in your tray) and select the window, which it then closes...it works based on the "name" of the window...but it doesn't work with Firefox...apparently it doesn't "see" these windows...

Thats the kind of pop-up blocker I'd like to see...whether integrated into the browser or as ad on...from my browsing, the add-ons currently offered, while offering many great features, either compromise your browsing experience, or require more intervention than I am interested in...

Since I'm not a programmer, I have no idea on exactly why webwinderkiller won't work in Firefox, nor how hard it would be to create or update it to work with Firefox....

So I will just continue to deal with issues and pop-ups as they occur...

I do have one other pet peeve...and this is browser non-specific...and perhaps there is a solution out there I am not aware of...

What about when you navigate to a site, and you get hit with a verbal "Congratulations..."...which may interrupt any music or audio source you may listening to...this also happens with "music" in social networking sites...

Does anyone know of any add-ons or extensions that will prevent these audio files from loading and playing automatically?...

Dave...

While I don't want to jump into the middle of this this

But since you did, here are some suggestions:
Use the Firefox add-on AdBlock Plus and Add Easy List- all three:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

List are on the right: http://easylist.adblockplus.org/

Many of those pop-ups are from ads or partners. by blocking the domains, you prevent the pop-ups.

To stop the flash loads:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433

I have managed using Firefox for going on 4 years with the use of these.

As Bobbye suggests "Ad-Block Plus" is most like the thing you'd like to have-slash- program.

"No-Script" will block pop ups also, with one provision. If you OK a script for the site you're visiting, you will be also allowing that sites flash objects to start.

With "No Script", "Vibrance" rollover ads are gone, and a few others the names of which escape me at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back