pop up box with no message, just a red circle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new pop up box, about 1" x 1" that I can't get rid of. It has no message and contains a red circle with a white X in the center of the circle. I don't have a virus according to mcafee and my virus files are up to date. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Investigate what programs are starting up when windows starts, i.e. things in the startup part of the start menu and in the system tray next to the clock. Try changing their settings so that they don't get started when windows does and see if that makes it go away.

Particularly, look for any references to programs that you have removed, but that had some kind of startup alone with windows as in system tray icon, etc.

My money would be on this being caused by you uninstalling something, and there is a bug in the uninstaller. Something is left over and trying to start but can't. But don't forget about the possible presence of viruses.

red circle

If something is left over from an uninstalled program, how do I eliminate it. I did recently uninstall a calendar program I decided I didn't want after downloading it.

ati_mmc.jpg

Check your registry for leftovers from that calendar app if you remember its name, sounds like Windows is trying to run it and won't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back