TechSpot

Popular hacker destination taken down in DDoS attack

By Rick
Jan 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Pastebin, a favorite destination for hackers with a public message, was taken down earlier in what appeared to be a distributed denial of service attack. Although Pastebin seems to have…

Read the whole story

2. A little bit of irony here.

3. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,242   +96

hack wars

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,405   +1,747

Isn't this just a computer age iteration of the adage, "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword"......:rolleyes:

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Again with the hacktivist term. Keep repeating something often enough and it becomes the truth. If I want to read articles brown-nosing Anon, I'll read Wired.

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 4,573   +65

Regardless of your personal opinion, members of Anonymous *claim* to have morally rooted goals. Anonymous uses hacking to achieve those objectives.

Taking controversial (or even confrontational) action to support a cause you believe in is the very definition of activism. And for that reason, "hacktivism" is a pretty solid label.

Whether or not you think they are bogus, disagree with their actions or don't believe in their message doesn't change what they *claim* to be.

I think they are dangerous, melodramatic and don't fulfill their own description. If you thought I was being nice to them in this submission, then I'm doing a pretty good job of holding back my personal bias. :)

7. and what have you done lately to try and improve things? Or do you LIKE it this way?

8. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Fair enough.

9. Hackers also use the "internet", let's hope that gets taken down next eh... :rolleyes:

Pastebin is not a "hacker site", this article refers to it as a "popular destination for hackers". You could say that the article is misleading - I don't think it is, but it's obvious that a lot of people simply don't bother to read anything properly but just jump to conclusions based on a headline - and assume "hacker site hacked"...