TechSpot

Popular hacker destination taken down in DDoS attack

By Rick
Jan 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Pastebin, a favorite destination for hackers with a public message, was taken down earlier in what appeared to be a distributed denial of service attack. Although Pastebin seems to have…

Read the whole story

2. A little bit of irony here.

3. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,096   +43

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,823   +922

Isn't this just a computer age iteration of the adage, "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword"......:rolleyes:

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Again with the hacktivist term. Keep repeating something often enough and it becomes the truth. If I want to read articles brown-nosing Anon, I'll read Wired.

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Regardless of your personal opinion, members of Anonymous *claim* to have morally rooted goals. Anonymous uses hacking to achieve those objectives.

Taking controversial (or even confrontational) action to support a cause you believe in is the very definition of activism. And for that reason, "hacktivism" is a pretty solid label.

Whether or not you think they are bogus, disagree with their actions or don't believe in their message doesn't change what they *claim* to be.

I think they are dangerous, melodramatic and don't fulfill their own description. If you thought I was being nice to them in this submission, then I'm doing a pretty good job of holding back my personal bias. :)

7. and what have you done lately to try and improve things? Or do you LIKE it this way?

8. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Fair enough.

9. Hackers also use the "internet", let's hope that gets taken down next eh... :rolleyes:

Pastebin is not a "hacker site", this article refers to it as a "popular destination for hackers". You could say that the article is misleading - I don't think it is, but it's obvious that a lot of people simply don't bother to read anything properly but just jump to conclusions based on a headline - and assume "hacker site hacked"...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.