Port on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

femmym

my port is on my laptop is loose when i move the lead on laptop it goes off any ideas how i could fix this please.
femmym

Chances are it is the power jack, but take a careful look at your power adapter to make sure. Replacing the power supply is the easiest way out of this, if that is the problem.

On most laptops, the power jack is soldered onto the system board. Manufacturers and many computer shops will tell you that the system board needs to be replaced... which pretty much means a new laptop.

It can be fixed, though. What needs to be done is the laptop needs to be completely disassembled, a new DC jack needs to be purchased, the old jack needs to be desoldered , the new one needs to be soldered and finally, the laptop needs to be reassembled. This work is above and beyond what *most* people can/will do. Here are some general instructions.

The solution is to find someone who can resolder it for you. True, it is something you can do yourself but if you don't have experience soldering, I wouldn't start out with a laptop. :)

There's also a slim possibility that your power jack is modular. A modular jack plugs into the board and is held down by a clip or screw etc.. it can be replaced without any soldering work. 98% of laptops aren't like this, but it is worth checking out. Even the act of taking apart most laptops is a monolithic project for the average person, but a modular DC jack will be much more realistic to replace than one soldered onto the board. Some Sony, many IBM and some HPs, for example, use modular jacks.

I had the same problem with an HP laptop, the DC jack was loose on the Motherboard and the connection was very finnicky. I was fortunate enough to find a media cable which plugged into the media port on the side and now my ac/dc adapter plugs into the cable. If you have the same HP or an HP with a media port, you may have to take the same route. I received quotes for about $200 to repair it, and I found the cable on e-bay for $150. One thing I found out is that I was very lucky that the motherboard didn't get fried because the loose jack has been known to create a short on the motherboard and burn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back