Portable Thunderbolt drive promises 750MB/sec speeds for $799

By Rick
Oct 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Promise Technology today announced the availability of what it claims to be the world's fastest ultra-portable storage device with Thunderbolt connectivity: the Pegasus J2. At the time of this writing, the J2 appears to only be available at the Apple...

Read more
  2. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

Thunderbolt drive...

Sounds kinda catchy lol
  3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,272   +258

Yeah - it'll catch lots of weenies and the price will certainly create a class divide for a while. [I'm in the "cannot afford this" class btw]
  4. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

:eek: Only at apple stores. What would be beneficial from having such high speeds?
  5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,859   +343

So you can backup your entire laptop in 2 minutes! you know.
  6. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

"What makes the Pegasus J2 so expensive? Well, I'm not really sure"

I'm just going to point out the elephant in the crowd...the Apple tax.
  7. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,131   +171

Other parties supply Thunderbolt cables nowadays. How many people have boards that support it though?
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

I was wondering when they were going to start an SSD raid configuration in a portable enclosure. BTW, is this the first drive or is it just the first drive I have seen?
  9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,272   +258

First one I've seen using mSATA, but there has been at least one using regular 2.5" SSDs released by Lacie.
  10. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,131   +171

Never complain about too much speed. It's a great enabler.

It's a bit disappointing it had taken this long for a 10Gbit serial tech to hit the market. With SSD tech it is already a bottleneck. Just look at Revodrive 3 X2 transfer speeds. It is so easy to just parallel up more data bus lanes and see proportional bw gains.
  11. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,571   +480

What an incredible waste of money!!!

Today I can get 2 x Samsung 840 (256GB) for about $570 (512GB in total). In RAID 0 they will perform faster than 750MB/s on SATA-III.

So, the extra $930 is for the thunderbolt disk case? Really?

12. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

That would be the first Thunderbolt case to support mSata in a raid configuration.

Of-coarse they are going to want royalties for being the first ones out the door with it. Sounds very much like any other company in existence.
  13. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,180   +442

I saw the price and laughed.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.