TechSpot

Portal 2 causing BSOD 124/101?

By sockmonkey
Nov 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Story:
    I came here once with an older build and found it to be very helpful, hope that it still is. So here it goes;

Recently I had an urge to play Portal 2, and after installing it from steam I went to run it and it crashed immediately.
    Being that I wanted to play this game really bad I attempted everything, googled around a little and found nothing but foolish answer like "update you bios" I don't see how my bios could be the issue here. After all, it does nothing after it reaches post, correct?

Well when ever I launch Portal 2 sometimes it will make it to the menu screen but when I move my mouse it does the same thing as it not making it there. As soon as it loads it BSODs with a clock interval not received second clock in allotted time or something like that its to fast really.
    The problem only happens in NEW Valve games like Portal 2, SC:GO. I haven't tried any others. Oddly enough I can run Portal (1) just fine, no lag, no weird frame rate issues, its just fine.

I'm going to add the .DMP files for someone to help me better.

Things I have tried to do to fix it:
    I have tried a "skidrow crakfix"
    I have tried to run as admin/compatibly mode (XP SP2)
    I have uninstalled my gfx drivers, and re installed them.
    I have re installed chip set drivers.
    Monitoring resources while game is launching and nothing is being maxed, temps are normal.

My system specs:
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula (mobo)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570 (GPU)
    AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor
    500W PSU

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,837   +164

3. sockmonkey

sockmonkey TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have already re installed them once before, I have the feeling that if I do that it wont fix it, like it did the last time. Should I maybe try the beta (Sounds stupid to me) but maybe it will be worth it. I'll give your idea a shot too.
  4. sockmonkey

Okay, done with the fresh re install of my gpu drivers, with that I now have 2 visual c++ 2010 and 2 visual c++ 2008, should I remove the duplicates and maybe the 2008 one completely?

I'm also going to re-install Portal 2 right now.

Okay.... Maybe it is the bios, still seems a little weird, but hey, I want portal 2.
  5. Tmagic650

I don't think the 2008 visual c++ matters here...
  6. sockmonkey

Okay, it was the BIOS, updating that made it work again. Thanks for the reply.
  7. Tmagic650

Okay, good work:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.