Portal 2 pre-orders open with discounts and extras

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Portal 2 pre-orders have launched on Steam, Amazon and GameStop. Naturally, Steam only offers the PC version while eager fans can purchase the title for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 elsewhere. By pre-ordering, you'll save $5 on the full retail price of $49.99 or $59.99 in addition to receiving bonus goodies depending on where you order.

Along with a 10% discount, Steam is offering pre-launch customers a free copy of the original Portal (you can give the game to a friend if you already own it). Instead of the complimentary copy of Portal, GameStop shoppers will receive exclusive customized skins for the co-op bots Atlas and P-body. Meanwhile, Amazon simply offers $5 in store credit.

Portal 2 is slated for a North American debut on April 18 while Australians and Europeans will have to wait until April 21 and 22. In case you missed the news, Valve and Sony have partnered up to implement cross-platform multiplayer gaming on the PC and PlayStation 3, and PS3 users will receive a free SteamPlay copy to play on PC and Mac.

Valve believes Portal 2 is the best game it's ever developed and it has several new features including a co-op story, polished graphics, as well as new puzzle elements and characters. The sequel takes place three hundred years after the original but features the same main character, Chell, and the same dark-humored AI computer system, GLaDOS.

Permalink to story.

I LOVE Portal! Cant wait for Portal 2! But $50 and $60? Really? The first portal was only $20 why the huge increase? I'm a poor college student.. Might have to wait till the price goes down... I bought the orange box for $50 and that included portal, team fortress 2, Half-life 2, Half-life 2: episode 1, and Half life 2: episode 2. Now that was a Great deal! and why would I buy a PC version then when I could get a PS3 version and get a PC version free? If anyone is smart they will all buy a PS3 version and get the free PC version then sell the PS3 copy... lol or if they have a PS3 use both!

Stonos said:
What? No in-game TF2 content for pre-purchasing it? That can't be right!

Considering 1/3 of the community quit after it became hatfortress 2 it isn't surprising.

"Princeton: Considering 1/3 of the community quit after it became hatfortress 2 it isn't surprising."

that seems like a pretty arbitrary number princeton... any data to back that up?

dcrosenthal said:
I LOVE Portal! Cant wait for Portal 2! But $50 and $60? Really? The first portal was only $20 why the huge increase? I'm a poor college student.. Might have to wait till the price goes down... I bought the orange box for $50 and that included portal, team fortress 2, Half-life 2, Half-life 2: episode 1, and Half life 2: episode 2. Now that was a Great deal! and why would I buy a PC version then when I could get a PS3 version and get a PC version free? If anyone is smart they will all buy a PS3 version and get the free PC version then sell the PS3 copy... lol or if they have a PS3 use both!

Apparently you don't know what SteamPlay is. Buy the PS3 copy, get to PLAY it on PC using the install disk they give you or access to download it via the steam client. You're just getting one cd key. It's not two copies of the game.

And why are you outraged with the price? The orange box you (and I) bought only included all of those games because they were years old. 60 bucks is not outrageous for a new PC game.

Raswan said:

And why are you outraged with the price? The orange box you (and I) bought only included all of those games because they were years old. 60 bucks is not outrageous for a new PC game.

The $60 is outrageous because it was originally used to subsidize the price of the a console. I find it insulting that I spend ~$1000 on a gaming computer only to have $10 added on. It is what ever the market will bare. I don't consider myself part of the $60 market.

yRaz said:
Raswan said:

The $60 is outrageous because it was originally used to subsidize the price of the a console. I find it insulting that I spend ~$1000 on a gaming computer only to have $10 added on. It is what ever the market will bare. I don't consider myself part of the $60 market.

Neither does Valve. Know how you can tell? They are charging $60 for the game...

Get your friends together and maybe if you get enough to boycott, Valve will lower the price. gl though.

Wasn't there something about buying Portal 2 for PS3 and you can get it free on PC if you link your PS3 steam account with your PC one?

Uhm it is now a full game where the original portal was episode size, part 2 is considered full length and has the multipler story too. Buck up the cash Valve always does good by customers.

I find 49.99 dollars a little expensive. I don't know if the game is gonna by big like half life 2 but I wonder why so much for portal 2.

I guess no one here has bought a game in the last 4 years. Unless it's an Indie title, $49.99 ($44.99 if you order early and get the discount) has been standard pricing for new releases of major titles during that time frame. And $60 for the console versions of those games (another reason why I don't play console games).

Princeton said:
Stonos said:

Considering 1/3 of the community quit after it became hatfortress 2 it isn't surprising.

But Team Hat Simulator 2 is just betterer in every which way! Nothing makes a game more fun than getting constantly spammed with trade requests!

DokKRokken said:
Princeton said:
Stonos said:

But Team Hat Simulator 2 is just betterer in every which way! Nothing makes a game more fun than getting constantly spammed with trade requests!

Portal was an experiment.

It succeeded.

Now it's a full game as opposed to a short game, or so I hope.

Guest said:
"Princeton: Considering 1/3 of the community quit after it became hatfortress 2 it isn't surprising."

that seems like a pretty arbitrary number princeton... any data to back that up?

I don't have pics so you can take my word or not. All the servers I frequent started to become empty after the Mann Co update. And the amount online number is much smaller then it used to be back in mid 2010.

"Valve and Sony have partnered up to implement cross-platform multiplayer gaming on the PC and PlayStation 3, and PS3 users will receive a free SteamPlay copy to play on PC and Mac. "

Does this mean PC users can play with PS3 users?

Raswan said:
Neither does Valve. Know how you can tell? They are charging $60 for the game...

Get your friends together and maybe if you get enough to boycott, Valve will lower the price. gl though.

What's your point? I'm not buying their games in hopes of some greater good. I'm not buying them because I find charging the subsidized price insulting. No game is worth $60, I have a hard enough time justifying $50. I don't know how you can have such a cavalier attitude about getting ripped off.

yRaz said:
Raswan said:

What's your point? I'm not buying their games in hopes of some greater good. I'm not buying them because I find charging the subsidized price insulting. No game is worth $60, I have a hard enough time justifying $50. I don't know how you can have such a cavalier attitude about getting ripped off.

Dude, console games have always been $60 and the PC version is $50.

In the whole human history of merchadising and marketing, a product is always overpriced.

In today's society, just put a price and people will pay, without questioning.

With videogames is the same, ask 50 bucks for a game and people will pay.

Add more plastice crap and a art book to it, and people will pay 100 dollars for a collector's edition. blah.

Look Call of Duty: Black Ops: an unfinished game reaching more than 1 billion dollars of sales worldwide; and since it launch back in November 2010, with all patches released so far, it continues to be a crappy, buggy game.

It's extremely simple: Portal 2 is not worth 50 dollars.

With Valve's Steam dominance of market share in digital distribution (70%), it will become ever worse.

Good luck to those who have pre-ordered already. You lost money, paying more than Portal 2 is really worth.

For those who want the game, wait until June, July to have better prices on Summer Sales (that happens every year). And no, I don't need to be the first to play tha game.

And "don't worry", because things will get worse in the future. Brand new titles will be selling for 70, 80 dollars for the standard edition. Double it for the Collector's Edition, and it's fine.

One last thing: don't forget that game studios will not deliver the complete game for you. You'll have to pay extra 15, 20 even 30 bucks for DLC, to make the game complete.

Want a great example of that? Take StarCraft II. In the original game (1997) you have 3 races (Terran, Zerg and Protoss). For StarCraft II you'll pay 60 bucks for each race. You fool!

Today, profit is paramount. Great games? No, I'm sorry.

Cheers, mate.

Why everyone is going gamedev-bashing suddenly. You must accept that prices are rising everwhere and a company must increase the price of their products as well to sustain itself. And cmon the games are 60$ but they deliver lot more value that those s***** "eye-pads" priced at insanely high 600$ and does not server any purpose. they call "eye-pads" next gen gaming device wtf. I will rather buy overpriced games.

And they wonder why people pirate $60... HAHAHA

And no I don't want to wait two years to get the more reasonable $30 price

Ok I guess I should of read more..I see its $45 with $5 credit at amazon. That's much more reasonable price. I will buy now :)

Raswan said:
yRaz said:
Raswan said:

Sheesh, both of you! Not so good at the whole reading concept are we? The PC version is $50 with 10% discounts going on, making it $45 right now. And for everybody bashing even THAT price saying that Portal was $20 needs to realize that Portal 2 is a full game including multiplayer, not 15 levels of a puzzle game. And everything in the Orange Box was not years old. TF2, Portal, and HL2:E2 were all brand new. Only HL2 and HL2:E1 were released prior. Oh, the insanity...

"
Apparently you don't know what SteamPlay is. Buy the PS3 copy, get to PLAY it on PC using the install disk they give you or access to download it via the steam client. You're just getting one cd key. It's not two copies of the game.

"

You really dont know what you are talking about... The first portal was released Oct. 9 2007. Half life 2: episode 2 was released Oct. 10 2007. Team fortress was released Oct. 10, 2007. The orange box was released Oct. 10 2007. Wow thats 3 NEW games not what you said on "The orange box you (and I) bought only included all of those games because they were years old." What are you smoking? and Half life 2: episode 1 was released June 1, 2006 only a year before. and you got Half life 2! That's 3 NEW games one 1 year old game, and 1 game that was 4 years old... I am a Huge Half life fan and when you say something you better get your facts straight. Now I know I just ranted on forever but I hope I made my point across. Portal 2 is over priced compared to previous games.

Back