TechSpot

Portland sues Uber for operating illegally, issues cease and desist order

1. Just a few days after Uber launched its service in Portland, Oregon, the city has filed a lawsuit against the ride-sharing startup for operating without required permits, and has also issued the company a cease and desist order.

Read more

2. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 658   +174

All these taxi company vs uber/lyft services is really disheartening.

Everyone knows there is way to much cars on the road and no one likes using regular taxi services. As long as clients understand that the uber service has a "at your own risk" tag attached why the heck mess with it?

Less cars = less pollution and less traffic jams.

3. EClyde

EClyde TS Guru Posts: 707   +181

I hope no one gets killed by police for this..it's akin to selling a loosie

4. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 752   +273

I get that people want services that are more convenient than taxis, but I haven't heard all that great things about Uber's attitude.

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,556   +2,900

I don't live in Portland but if I did, I wouldn't let this stop me from picking anyone up that wanted to share the cost of fuel. Then again, I wouldn't be riding around the city acting as a taxi driver either.

6. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 511   +46

What a a stupid bloody "law". So that means in Portland, lets say you were going on a long drive and asked a friend or family member to "chip in" towards fuel costs it is essentially illegal...what a joke!